Searching For Chad Hugo

BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
edited November 2006 in Strut Central
For real, what happened to this dude? Someone told me all the new clipse beats are all pharell too. I think that would explain why it aint as hot as the last record. I dont think chad would sit around and let skateboard p drop the kind of garbage he did on the jay-z album either. I heard he wanted to go spend time with his family. Anyone got the real story?

Comments

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    I am sure that Chad Hugo is chillin' at home in a nice big house in Virginia with his wife and kids counting money. I would not worry about Chad Hugo. That fool might have retired!

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    I am sure that Chad Hugo is chillin' at home in a nice big house in Virginia with his wife and kids counting money. I would not worry about Chad Hugo. That fool might have retired!
    freals. dude could just shit out a few beats every few years if money gets low and he'll be good

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    freals. dude could just shit out a few beats every few years if money gets low and he'll be good

Im sure he's good. Im just talking about the music.

• cascas 1,484 Posts
    i used to run in to him everywhere i went back when i used to live in va, but never really spoke with him outside of the "what's up man?". when i was seeing the mrs long distance from va to san fran. he was on my fall flight both from va and again back to va from oakland with his wife, kids and parents in tote.

i know he's a part of all this new shit. he's just the quiet type of dude.

• For real, what happened to this dude? Someone told me all the new clipse beats are all pharell too. I think that would explain why it aint as hot as the last record.

my understanding was that chad actually had a lot to do with the latest clipse album, staying in VA to record w/ clipse regularly at the studio the neptunes own there. a friend went down to listen to hell hath no fury in february and said chad was running everything there (and kept asking him if he wanted crunk juice, which they keep mass quantities of in the fridge).

the kenna album that's supposed to come out this year is all "chase chad" on production as opposed to neptunes. dude also released a baltimore club-style uptempo remix of pharell's "can i have it like that" as chase chad earlier this year.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    For real, what happened to this dude? Someone told me all the new clipse beats are all pharell too. I think that would explain why it aint as hot as the last record.

my understanding was that chad actually had a lot to do with the latest clipse album, staying in VA to record w/ clipse regularly at the studio the neptunes own there. a friend went down to listen to hell hath no fury in february and said chad was running everything there (and kept asking him if he wanted crunk juice, which they keep mass quantities of in the fridge).

the kenna album that's supposed to come out this year is all "chase chad" on production as opposed to neptunes. dude also released a baltimore club-style uptempo remix of pharell's "can i have it like that" as chase chad earlier this year.

The writer credits, guests and samples notwithstanding, are all Thornton/Thornton/Williams. Maybe this is leading people to conclude that Chad wasn't in the picture on this record.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    For real, what happened to this dude? Someone told me all the new clipse beats are all pharell too. I think that would explain why it aint as hot as the last record.

The writer credits, guests and samples notwithstanding, are all Thornton/Thornton/Williams. Maybe this is leading people to conclude that Chad wasn't in the picture on this record.

Is there a new Serious Black Man avatar club that you're all part of?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Industry Insideur Knowledge Dropped!

Is there a new Serious Black Man avatar club that you're all part of?

http://www.hbo.com/thewire/cast/index.shtml

Get 'em while they hot!

• Hi!

-------------

How am I doing?

Hi!

-------------

How am I doing?

You're doing well. You're feisty, principled and you fight dirty when you need to. But you sometimes let your professional relationships bleed into your personal life, and this can lead to frustration and worries over whether you're putting your credibility at risk.

• You're doing well. You're feisty, principled and you fight dirty when you need to. But you sometimes let your professional relationships bleed into your personal life, and this can lead to frustration and worries over whether you're putting your credibility at risk.

Awesome.

Wasn't there a fantasy-WIRE thread where everybody posts in character?

I am going to drink some red wine and make sure I have my paperwork
    in order before I go toe-to-toe with Faux_Rillz in the negotiation room.

• Really weird, I was just talking to my buddy about Chad Hugo last night.
    We came to the conclusion that all of the really hot Neptunes beats (Mr. Me Too, What Happened To That Boy, Drop It Like It's Hot, any of those really stark electronic beats) were strictly Hugo joints with no Pharrell in sight.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts

Really weird, I was just talking to my buddy about Chad Hugo last night.
    We came to the conclusion that all of the really hot Neptunes beats (Mr. Me Too, What Happened To That Boy, Drop It Like It's Hot, any of those really stark electronic beats) were strictly Hugo joints with no Pharrell in sight.

Yuuuuup. Every time his name gets brought up around people I know that's the consensus as well. Hugo has always been that dude on the next level, while Pharrell gave them the necessary image/attitude. Not to say that Pharrell is a scrub, but it's Hugo that shapes those out of this world sounds that define a Neptunes track.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    Hugo has always been that dude on the next level, while Pharrell gave them the necessary image/attitude.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    I think people area clearly reading more into 'who does what' based on their opinions of the men themselves.

• the neptunes are a team. unless you were in the studio, or have some inside source how can you tell who did what beat? it seems like people are trying to take away credit from Pharell because they don't like how much he talks and the want to reward Chad for being the quiet one.

• I think people area clearly reading more into 'who does what' based on their opinions of the men themselves.

YES, that's what i was trying to say

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts

Just noticed he isn't credited on the Snoop album either. Not that those beats will go down in Neptune history by any means...

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

Really weird, I was just talking to my buddy about Chad Hugo last night.

That's always been my feeling as well. When Pharrell goes out on his own...well, you end up with horseshit like "Can I Have It Like That." When The Neptunes release that one beat out of five that's a fucking killer, I have to believe that's due to heavy Chad Hugo influence, if not 100 percent.

That's always been my feeling as well. When Pharrell goes out on his own...well, you end up with horseshit like "Can I Have It Like That." When The Neptunes release that one beat out of five that's a fucking killer, I have to believe that's due to heavy Chad Hugo influence, if not 100 percent.

not a cheerleader for either one of em, but...
    rewind drop it like its hot, pharrell is the voice saying snnoooooooop. he also kicks the 1st verse !?
    seems as if he mos def had a hand in that. not that i really give a shit but...logically.

i dont hear any acoustic guitars...on these joints.

can i have it like that...to me the beat was fire, paying homage to pot belly ! should have found a better home, not gwen stefani.

i think Chase Chad's a new waver ...

and i'm not mad at that!

• The Raise UpThe Raise Up Golden Years... wah wah wah 452 Posts
    the neptunes are a team. unless you were in the studio, or have some inside source how can you tell who did what beat? it seems like people are trying to take away credit from Pharell because they don't like how much he talks and the want to reward Chad for being the quiet one.

Seriously, I hear people saying Chad's the real genius behind all the good Neptunes beats all the time and I never get it. I remember a Neptunes interview where they said Pharrell was involved in 100% of the Neptunes beats and Chad in about 98% of them, so it definitely seems like a team effort.