Penn Teller: Bullshit

GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
been watching this show for a little bit now. I noticed that certain topics have started up on this board after particular episodes (circumcision, etc.) Just wondering what people think of this show.

Personally I liked it a whole lot up until the last few episodes I watched. On the most recent one I saw they attacked the idea of the 12 step program, on the previous episode they attacked Ghandi, Mother Teresa, and the Dali Lama. Now I'm all for shining light on the darkened areas of history and knowledge but I am not for diggin up mud just to get your hands dirty.

I mean really though is it going to make you feel better to know that 12 steps programs are a sham according to a magician and his spokesman?

Comments

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    co-sign. It seems like the last few episodes I've seen were for shock value more than to disprove anything. The last one I caught was about diversity sensitivy on university campuses. Extremely one sided without any real opposing opinions other than 2 second soundbites.

My opinion of this show has done a complete 180.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Yo Guzz,

I've watched the show pretty regularly. I thought the one about workout videos was on point (as a positive example). To tell folks whose whole family is big and fat that they can have "buns of steel" is misleading at least, and false advertising at most. Sure, people/companies that market workout products, videos, etc. could be more forthright. I didn't really dig the one on college last night (I think). While yes, I think college administrators have gone too far afield with political correctness, I don't think institutions of higher learning should be bastions for open bigotry either. I believe that Penn & Teller advocate the extreme position too much as opposed to a more moderate, reasonable stance on topics. I guess extremism begets ratings, who knows???

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• what is this show on? - and when do it come one DVD?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    glad to know I'm not the only one who feels this way. I think the absoulte low point was the interview with Ghandi's grandchild. He was clearly defending/ his grandfather as a man who has contributed a lot to the world but it was (pporly) edited in such a way to make him try to look foolish.

Perhaps they've run out of things to talk about?
    I don't know why but this show is starting to look kinda like some bizarro version of a program on Fox News

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,087 Posts
    I want to know where David Blaine and The Amazing Jonathan stand on the political spectrum

"Thinking about the pros and cons of tax reform while encased in a solid block of ice has balanced my inner chi and helped me realize that the current flat tax proposal moderate progressives are lobbying still allows those with six-figure incomes to take advantage of various loop holes."

"My crystal ball says 'fuck Bush, fuck the UN and fuck the world. This planet is filled with DUMBASSES'. Now watch me cut off my arm."

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Yo Guzz,

I've watched the show pretty regularly. I thought the one about workout videos was on point (as a positive example). To tell folks whose whole family is big and fat that they can have "buns of steel" is misleading at least, and false advertising at most. Sure, people/companies that market workout products, videos, etc. could be more forthright. I didn't really dig the one on college last night (I think). While yes, I think college administrators have gone too far afield with political correctness, I don't think institutions of higher learning should be bastions for open bigotry either. I believe that Penn & Teller advocate the extreme position too much as opposed to a more moderate, reasonable stance on topics. I guess extremism begets ratings, who knows???

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Senor Stacks,

I agree there have been some wonderful episodes...I fully agree with you on the weight loss video expose, however it seems like the direction of the show has gone from debunking myths to doing nothing more than shocking the audience.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Yo Guzz,

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Senor Stacks,

I agree there have been some wonderful episodes...I fully agree with you on the weight loss video expose, however it seems like the direction of the show has gone from debunking myths to doing nothing more than shocking the audience.

My thoughts exactly!!!! I don't like the new turn the show has taken. But Guzzo, you gotta realize that the country is now full of partisan, blind sheep types that thrive on extreme ideas without questioning their accuracy. You know, the same people that voted for Bush. So, maybe the producers are morphing the show into something that empty-headed, brainwashed, unquestioning zealots, as opposed to open-minded, free thinkers, would enjoy. After all, the red states make up a large viewing demographic.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    I thought the show about 12-Step programs was dead-on. They might be a bit over-zealous in their attempts to go after so many sacred cows and easy targets, but I think the show is great.

• Salary_DizSalary_Diz 735 Posts
    I've never seen the show, but yeah, 12 step programs are cultist bulshit crappidtty crap!

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I thought the show about 12-Step programs was dead-on. They might be a bit over-zealous in their attempts to go after so many sacred cows and easy targets, but I think the show is great.

I agree with this, but then again, I haven't seen any of the new season. Of course, it's entertaining to watch them pummel easy targets (feng shui, bottled water, fad diets), but it's messier as they aim higher (the one about hunger and bioengineered foods bit off more than it could chew--har!--and came off unfocused). It's funny to watch them give people just enough rope to hang themselves, but the quality goes down as they get more self-righteous.

• damn, am I the only guy that has no idea when or where this comes on? I would like to catch it sometime.