Dickies on 70s TV Show "CPO Sharky" (YTR)

sloppywhitesloppywhite 230 Posts
edited November 2006 in Strut Central
I know there's some punk heads on the strut that might appreciate this...

Anyone remember that Don Rickles show?

Comments

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    That's pretty sweet.
    The producers get props for using a real punk band
    and some real punks.
    One of my pet peevs are TV shows that attempt to
    portray youth subculture. They almost always fuck it up.

• I fuckin' love the Dickies. I saw them like a dozen times back in the day.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    I fuckin' love the Dickies. I saw them like a dozen times back in the day.

'Crossed-Eyed Tammy' and 'Hunchback' are personal faves....'Curb Job' too! I was just discussing the Dickies this weekend! As if there's anything to discuss! You either love 'em or hate 'em.

That's pretty sweet.
    The producers get props for using a real punk band [/b]
    and some real punks.

I don't know many folks who would classify them as a 'real punk band', really. I mean, not like other Los Angeles bands like X, or the Germs, or Black Flag. They were kind of bandwagon jumpers who were comprised of roadies from LA power pop bands like the Zippers, who saw an opportunity and jumped on it, and ended up being pretty fucking great! The fact that they had a sense of humor but like a more melodic, less threatening, less antagonistic version of FEAR, is what I dug about them. That, and the fact that 'real' punks hated them for all the above reasons, makes them that much more appreciated!

Speaking of....

FEAR on SNL

look for Ian Mackaye and a bunch of DC punks that were rounded up for the show....obviously things get a bit out of hand. John Belushi insisted on FEAR as musical guests that night or he wasn't going to do his cameo....the resulting fracas is legendary in both live TV events and in punk rock circles. Enjoy!

• That's pretty sweet.
    The producers get props for using a real punk band [/b]
    and some real punks.

I don't know many folks who would classify them as a 'real punk band', really. I mean, not like other Los Angeles bands like X, or the Germs, or Black Flag. They were kind of bandwagon jumpers who were comprised of roadies from LA power pop bands like the Zippers, who saw an opportunity and jumped on it, and ended up being pretty fucking great! The fact that they had a sense of humor but like a more melodic, less threatening, less antagonistic version of FEAR, is what I dug about them. That, and the fact that 'real' punks hated them for all the above reasons, makes them that much more appreciated!

All true. Also, watch for the Dickies performing 'You Drive Me Ape You Big Gorilla' in the George Burns movie '18 Again'....