OUR BAND CAN BE YOUR LIFE

tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
edited November 2006 in Strut Central
I bought it yesterday and I haven't been able to put it down. Incredibly insightful stuff - a must for fans of Sonic Youth, Minutemen, Minor Threat, Dinosaur Jr...or just music fans in general.

Comments

• Thanks for posting that. Considering that those are some of my band's biggest influences, I should probably pick that up.

• I CANNOT RECOMMEND THIS BOOK ANY HIGHER!!!

The chapter on the Butthole surfers is one of the funniest things I've ever read....like, seriously, top 3 material.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    awesome book!
    anyone check out American Hardcore?
    as good?

• I CANNOT RECOMMEND THIS BOOK ANY HIGHER!!!

The chapter on the Butthole surfers is one of the funniest things I've ever read....like, seriously, top 3 material.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    we all got our late passes....I picked this up recently after missing it when it came out a few years back. Nostalgia for my school days(20 year reunion this year, skipped that one too) and the Minutemen doc 'We Jam Econo' made me revisit this.

I have skipped around to the sections that have personal relevance first(Husker Du, Replacements, Minutemen, Black Flag) and have enjoyed it a lot, but I do find the author's lack of objectivity a bit annoying at times. Some of the Husker Du chapter seemed a bit too brisk and lacking in info, while the Minor Threat chapter was a bit too leaden with strictly Ian Mackaye's POV or gossipy anectdotes. Am in the midst of the Fugazi chapter now, which is pretty good. The Mission of Burma chapter bored me, so I will have to double back to that, I skipped it to jump to Minor Threat!

Been listening to a lot of stuff circa 1983-87 as a result of this book, I will say that!

• I thought this book just came out???

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    I thought this book just came out???

Nah, the hardcover came out in like 2002 or so...July 2002 according to Amazon