The Vibrettes "Humpty Dump"

Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
edited November 2006 in Strut Central
Did "The Vibrettes" ever release a full length LP? All I know is the "Humpty Dump" 45 and that "Humpy Dump" track is that real schitt! Any info? Did they record and release more songs?

Comments

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    don't think there's anything more.
    A while back, there was this whole discussion with Phillip (Soul Fire) claiming the 45 was Eddoe Bo related while others said this was a LA recording... who knows?

• The Vibrettes released only the one 45.
    The group was from Los Angeles and were involved with Johnny Otis.
    Other information on the ladies has proved scarce.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    don't think there's anything more.
    A while back, there was this whole discussion with Phillip (Soul Fire) claiming the 45 was Eddoe Bo related while others said this was a LA recording... who knows?

The track "Humpty Dump" appears on a comp titled "Eddie Bo prsents Funky New Orleans." Who knows if it was really Eddie Bo related, from New Orleans or if it was just placed on the comp?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Yeah I've always heard about the Johnny Otis connection.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Phillips argument was that judging from sound of the drums, it had to be James Black.

• can someone upload said vibrettes 45 plaese????

• At least the folks at Funky Delicacies appear to agree that its a New Orleans thang:

http://www.dustygroove.com/item.php?id=5...p%3Bincl_cs%3D1

• At least the folks at Funky Delicacies appear to agree that its a New Orleans thang:

http://www.dustygroove.com/item.php?id=5...p%3Bincl_cs%3D1

As Dante said, they are incorrect. LA/Johnny Otis related side.

• can someone upload said vibrettes 45 plaese????

http://download.yousendit.com/E0E1AC4266C0FA49

• it ain't no thing but a turkey wing

• After listening to the drums again, I have to say the drums do not sound anything like the work of James Black to me. Black was the drummer on most of Eddie Bo's hottest records, and came from a jazz background. Also, the female group Bo was associated with was the Explosions, and to my knowledge he has never even mentioned the Vibrettes. My understanding is that the Vibrettes were a one-off group associated with Johnny Otis (who also had Preston Love on the roster).

• After listening to the drums again, I have to say the drums do not sound anything like the work of James Black to me. Black was the drummer on most of Eddie Bo's hottest records, and came from a jazz background. Also, the female group Bo was associated with was the Explosions, and to my knowledge he has never even mentioned the Vibrettes. My understanding is that the Vibrettes were a one-off group associated with Johnny Otis (who also had Preston Love on the roster).

Did you bother reading the rest of this thread?

• This isn't exactly the most happening thread on Soulstrut, and there were only 12 posts before mine. I'm just simply in agreement with the folks who are saying there was a link between Johnny Otis and the Vibrettes. No big deal here...

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    Johnny Otis told me that James Black said the Vibrettes were the singer of the Explosions cousins that lived in LA, and that Eddie Bo used to date one of them but they had a falling out and thats why he didn't release the Humpty Dump on Bo Sound but in a jealous rage pressed up the yellow label boot and sold them in quantity out of the trunk of his impala. True story.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    Johnny Otis told me that James Black said the Vibrettes were the singer of the Explosions cousins that lived in LA, and that Eddie Bo used to date one of them but they had a falling out and thats why he didn't release the Humpty Dump on Bo Sound but in a jealous rage pressed up the yellow label boot and sold them in quantity out of the trunk of his impala. True story.

So was the 45 pressed at the same plant as the Bo-Sound stuff?

CHECK YOUR MATRIX NUMBERS, MUFALAKA!!!

• hendravishendravis 689 Posts
    can someone upload said vibrettes 45 plaese????

any chance of a re-up!??