Five By Five - Apple Cider 45 on Paula

holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
edited November 2006 in Strut Central
Took a chance on this 45 I had never heard of before yesterday, stashed away amongst some country 45s for $2. Anyone else know this? So awesome. Kinda garagey, mod, soul-ish, very cool. Also found a Chambers Bros 45 in with the country? I guess their name does sound kinda country.

Comments

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    They have a full LP on Paula that is decent. Most
    of their 45's are really good. They had a minor hit
    with a cover of Hendrix's "Fire" that is somewhat commonly
    found. I just finally found a cheap copy of the LP online,
    waiting for it to show in the mailbox any day now.

One 45 worth checking for is (something like) "13 Going on 25"
    b/w a cover of CCR's "Penthouse Pauper" - the original is great,
    snotty, driving, and raunchy.

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    Took a chance on this 45 I had never heard of before yesterday, stashed away amongst some country 45s for $2. Anyone else know this? So awesome. Kinda garagey, mod, soul-ish, very cool. Also found a Chambers Bros 45 in with the country? I guess their name does sound kinda country.

I've never seen that one, but I have two others on Paula - Fire/Hang Up (Paula 302) and 15 Going on 20/Penthouse Pauper (Paula 326). I like both of these enough to pick up anything else I see by them. Both are loud garagey rockers.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts

I've never seen that one, but I have two others on Paula - Fire/Hang Up (Paula 302) and 15 Going on 20/Penthouse Pauper (Paula 326). I like both of these enough to pick up anything else I see by them. Both are loud garagey rockers.
    Cool, this one is Paula 319.

• "Apple Cider" is/was popular on the Chicago mod club scene in the last couple of years.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    "Apple Cider" is/was popular on the Chicago mod club scene in the last couple of years.
    It definitely has that sort of sound to it.