time to buy a new mixer. what yall feelin?

bozakbozak 334 Posts
edited November 2006 in Strut Central
It is time to put down my rane ttm-54. I have had her for something like 8 years (I bought it when it first came out) and she has served me well. I am looking at whats available right now and am curious what people here are feeling.My priorities are:sound qualitycomplete cut on the eqa crossfader that will let me scratchit is not 19 inches wideI do use Microwave on occasion too.time to upgrade

Comments

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    price range?

• for sound quality it's really all about RANE

if your stepping up from the 54 you got the 56 or 57, do you want your Microwave internal or external? do you want to spend 900 or 1400?

• bozakbozak 334 Posts
    I am willing to drop a G on a good mixer that will last a while. I dont really want to spend that much BUT you get what you pay for and I understand this.

I supposedly have some kind of amazing discount through a friend. the only price quotes I recall were the Ecler nuo 3 for $360, the rane ttmssl57 for $1070,
    and the Rane empath for $750. we'll see if it happens.

I am interested somewhat in three channel mixers as I have been using more then 2 sources simultaneously at my weekend gigs and enjoying it. I guess it doesnt have to be specifically 3, it could be 4.......

Is the xfader on the Empath anywhere near as good as on the 56?

• bozakbozak 334 Posts
    yeah I have thought about the 57. it is a very intriguing mixer. what would make it perfect is if it had a third channel. then it would basically be my ideal mixer. I have heard a rumor this is in the works but I dont want to wait around for a year or more. I have used some allen and heath mixers and my first impression was that the sound was better then rane but it could have been the room.

• I JUST WANT SOMETHING SMALL WITH A CROSS FADE AND REVERB EFFECT- DOES THAT EXIST?

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts

I gotta jump on here too for new mixer buying advice. Otherwise I'd have to wait a month for the next monthly mixer thread.

Right now I have a Numark DM2000X. I just use it for making mixes and dj-ing a little for fun for myself or if people are chillin here at home. I like it for the crossfader - it has a nice wide range of fading, rather than a quick jump in fading, like some mixers seem to have.

Anyways, I'm looking for a new one (this one I got used 4 years ago), looking to spend in the $400 range (def less that $500). Any advice?

• you should have jumped on that guitar center special a urei 1601s for 300 bucks
    http://ureidj.com/product_1601S.aspx

the crossfader is crap but they have a mod on the urei website on how to mod the pro x fader into the urei...for 300 bills plus a hundred for the fader thats not bad.. If you have loot get the rane.
    if you want to save a little get a Ecler with the eternal fader( the nuo 3 i think you said?)

you should have jumped on that guitar center special a urei 1601s for 300 bucks
    http://ureidj.com/product_1601S.aspx

the crossfader is crap but they have a mod on the urei website on how to mod the pro x fader into the urei...for 300 bills plus a hundred for the fader thats not bad.. If you have loot get the rane.
    if you want to save a little get a Ecler with the eternal fader( the nuo 3 i think you said?)

The special for that is over though, huh? Oh well.

what's with the Ecler? Never hear of that company. Any other suggestions? Thanks by the way.

Zing!

For real though, good crossfader for $400 range? anyone?

• someone said crossfade with reverb...

check out:

pioneer DJM400 also

elcer nuo3 is real nice.
    big fatty knobs and a smooth crossphada that can be replaced if ever need be...i tink they call it the 'eternal" crossphada or some shit...

• For real though, good crossfader for $400 range? anyone?

Vestax 05

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Anyone here have any experience with Ecler? I'm thinking of getting a HAK 360.

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    Anyone here have any experience with Ecler? I'm thinking of getting a HAK 360.

I have the previous model HAK 320. Has excellent sound quality effect in/out, the eq works, faders are long lasting and smooth, you have various in- and output possibilities. the only thing that somehow sucks about this mixer are the small balance and monitor faders, because they don??t have the quality of the line and crossfader section. I think they improved the mixer for the 360 version. All in all this mixer is highly recommended and value for money.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    for sound quality it's really all about RANE
    Yes. Spending a little over your budget ($400) for a Rane Mixer is not a bad idea i.e. good investment.

For real though, good crossfader for $400 range? anyone?

Vestax 05

I was just reading about this one. Seems like a pretty solid choice for me. I'm sure the Rane is solid, I just can't drop that kind of loot.