Har-You Percussion OG?

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited November 2006 in Strut Central
Just curious - did the Har-You LP originally come out on ORO or ESP?

Comments

• It came out on Oro, which was an ESP sub. It's got an ESP matrix number.

I recall Montego Joe saying that after it was pressed, ESP had to pull the record because the Har-You program was government-funded and the feds wouldn't allow them to sell the recording.

• There's a copy of the b&w cover on ebay right now... wild... I can only remember seeing color cover pressings.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    There's a copy of the b&w cover on ebay right now... wild... I can only remember seeing color cover pressings.

Yeah, that's why I'm asking. According to the ebay description (and of course, who knows if it's accurate), the ORO with the color cover was a second issue following the B&W ESP release.

• Whats really crazy is I bought the color cover ORO og from them last year. It was up in their store on the wall for $60.00. So of course I bought it. It was super clean except for a gash on, guess which song, "Feed Me Good" that clicks for 30 seconds of the song. Still not a bad deal. It's crazy they got both presses.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    It was up in their store on the wall for $60.00.

• It was up in their store on the wall for $60.00.

i know.
    and these are the guys that are known for their super price gouging
    Dorothy Ashby -- $190.00 (don't think so)
    Eugene Mcdaniels -- $200.00 (fuck that)
    Planete Sauvage -- $160.00 (just because Madlib shops there doesn't mean it should be priced above ebay)

etc. etc. etc. Their wall is always laughable, but sometimes it's worth paying a little extra to bypass trying your hand at ebay/setsales/etc. No insurance, waiting, shipping, sketchy condition.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    The Coke LP makes a little more sense after watching the doc!

• There's a copy of the b&w cover on ebay right now... wild... I can only remember seeing color cover pressings.

Yeah, that's why I'm asking. According to the ebay description (and of course, who knows if it's accurate), the ORO with the color cover was a second issue following the B&W ESP release.

I believe that's correct, but mainly because of the ESP cover art gallery. Have you seen it? I wouldn't call it a bible (who really cares about the 300 different pressings of "bells" anyways) but it's pretty reliable.

http://www.totalshutdown.com/espdisk/espdisk13.html

I believe that's correct, but mainly because of the ESP cover art gallery. Have you seen it? I wouldn't call it a bible (who really cares about the 300 different pressings of "bells" anyways) but it's pretty reliable.

http://www.totalshutdown.com/espdisk/espdisk13.html

It sounds like the eBay description has the sequence wrong because the B&W issue has an address that the label didn't move to until 1973:

http://www.totalshutdown.com/espdisk/espaddress.html

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Ah, so it sounds like the color cover was first, then ESP reissued the B&W cover later. And then Ubiquity re-released the cover cover version.

• roistoroisto 879 Posts
    Ah, so it sounds like the color cover was first, then ESP reissued the B&W cover later. And then Ubiquity re-released the cover cover version.

Yes, color cover ORO came first around 1969/70, the ESP issue is a second pressing.

ESP 1067 Har-You Percussion Group - Sounds of Ghetto Youth
    Joffre Marchand, Stafford Osborne (tp) Allen Ray (fl) Nelson Sanamiago (as) David "Mousie" Edmead (p) Nick Kirksey (p, vo) Dennis Taitt (g) John Moody (el-b) Andre Strobert (d) Sam Turner (cga, tim) Myles Matthews (bgo, tim) Antonio Santa Cruz (cowbell, vo) Montego Joe (prod)
    released between 1969, 1970
    Feed Me Good
    Barrets Bag
    Ngoma
    Oua-Train
    Welcome to the Party
    Santa Cruz
    Tico
    ** reissue of ORO ORO 5.