Robert Altman RIP (NRR)

funky16cornersfunky16corners 7,175 Posts
edited November 2006 in Strut Central
Director Robert Altman dead at age 81Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:23 PM ETLOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Director Robert Altman, who introduced an innovative ensemble style of filmmaking in such works as "MASH," "Gosford Park" and "Nashville," has died at age 81, his production company said on Tuesday.A spokesman told Reuters that Altman died on Monday night but gave no cause of death.Altman revealed at the Academy Awards in March that he had a heart transplant when he was in his 70s but kept it a secret in order to keep working. He received a lifetime achievement award at the same ceremony.Altman, born in Kansas City, Missouri, was 30 when he made his first feature film.On the strength of that he moved to Hollywood where his big break came with "MASH," the 1970 black comedy about a medical unit during the Korean War. Its irreverent ad lib dialogue caught viewers by surprise and ushered in a new era of filmmaking.

Comments

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Its incredible how late in life he was able to keep active.
    RIP to one of the greatest.

• RIP

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    Loved his stuff. Didn't know much about him until i got to college and then i was hooked.

What a shame, but as Deej said, at least he was able to keep his passion alive for so long.

• Grab the Altman on Altman book for a nice overview of this rare artist in Hollywood.

• Damn, RIP. Just yesterday I was reading an article about him, thinking how great it was that he's still active at his age...

• Nashivlle is great, McCabe and Mrs. Miller, etc. but The Player is one of my all-time favorites. And it's one of the best movies about Hollywood and couldn't have been made by anyone other than the disinguished Mr. Altman. I think it's probably his most personal film. Really great stuff.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

Nashivlle is great, McCabe and Mrs. Miller, etc. but The Player is one of my all-time favorites. And it's one of the best movies about Hollywood and couldn't have been made by anyone other than the disinguished Mr. Altman. I think it's probably his most personal film. Really great stuff.

I hear you. I still prefer "Nashville" more..."The Player" was a little too nudge-nudge, wink-wink but then again, that was the point.

• Nashivlle is great, McCabe and Mrs. Miller, etc. but The Player is one of my all-time favorites. And it's one of the best movies about Hollywood and couldn't have been made by anyone other than the disinguished Mr. Altman. I think it's probably his most personal film. Really great stuff.

I hear you. I still prefer "Nashville" more..."The Player" was a little too nudge-nudge, wink-wink but then again, that was the point.

For me it's all about

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

Nashivlle is great, McCabe and Mrs. Miller, etc. but The Player is one of my all-time favorites. And it's one of the best movies about Hollywood and couldn't have been made by anyone other than the disinguished Mr. Altman. I think it's probably his most personal film. Really great stuff.

For me it's all about

This was a strange, strange movie but it was good to see Elliot Gould .

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Caught this one for the first time not too long ago. Not a bad little '70s Altman flick.

• For me it's all about

This was a strange, strange movie but it was good to see Elliot Gould .

you thought it was strange? i think this

is the strangest. maybe one of the strangest movies i've ever seen

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    Its all about:

ShortCuts (huey lewis)
    McCabe and Mrs Miller (leonard cohen)

• [

Best movie about L.A. that isn't about L.A. of all-time! He captured the mood perfectly!

• I wanna big up one of the best movies of all-time!
    (that's right- I say it ranks with your Citizen Kane's, Casablanca's, Godfather's, etc)