The Wire is bugging Cunningham's Out!

yoigotbeatsyoigotbeats 1,667 Posts
edited November 2006 in Strut Central
So I'm grabbing a Fuji from the cooler in my office and the elder statesman of the office comes up to me telling me about the Vandy-Georgetown game and drops "I told my friend that little nigga needs to pass the damn ball when gunning the lane." I'm totally floored. Not only cuz dude gets his swirl on, but he's usually the first to jump on some ish when we're having to deal with any of the less enlightened folk. I let it slide, but a few hours later he comes into my office and says, "Even though I gathered you knew I wasn't a racist, I wanted to apoligize for dropping the n-word. I've been watching the Wire too much and got comfortable with you." As someone who's never watched, am I really missing something and/or is it really making otherwise cool dudes get "comfortable."

Comments

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    weird story. i watch a lot of the wire and don't feel comfortable dropping n-bombs.

• Does he look like this georges???

"Even though I gathered you knew I wasn't a racist, I wanted to apoligize for dropping the n-word. I've been watching the Wire too much and got comfortable with you."

As someone who's never watched, am I really missing something and/or is it really making otherwise cool dudes get "comfortable."

I'm just surprised you don't watch THE WIRE, g. You are already "sounding white" to me, so I'm putting you on "white alert".

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Damn, G. That's some crazy shit. However I could see Wire kind of like indoctrinating otherwise disconnected dudes into that facet of life - like it or not.

• yeah it was a trip indeed. I wonder if he'll start calling his sista of a girlfriend bitch!!?!?!?!

And no need for white alert - I just stopped paying attention to HBO shows after the season of the Sopranos.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    yeah it was a trip indeed. I wonder if he'll start calling his sista of a girlfriend bitch!!?!?!?!

And no need for white alert - I just stopped paying attention to HBO shows after the season of the Sopranos.

If his girlfriend and other friends are Black, he probably had himself a momentary lapse of self-recognition of his own situation(ie. 'Dude, you are WHITE and that word is off limits no matter how many Black people use it in your presence'). Not excusing in the least, just by way of explanation. At least he had the nads to admit that he shouldn't have said it. Shit, if he's the head honcho, that kinda slip can land you in seriously hot water too.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Shit, if he's the head honcho, that kinda slip can land you in seriously hot water too.

if he then explained himslef to the media
    it would make for the most cross-cutting SoulStrut 30 pager in history

• not the head honcho, but the oldest cat in the building.

And I just chaulked it up to dude feeling comfy after a Wire OD.