hip hop dub versions WHY?!

Secret_ChimpSecret_Chimp 915 Posts
edited May 2005 in Strut Central
This may be a really stupid question..But why did they so often include dub versions on hip hop singles? They're totally unuseable.. They do that stupid thing where they play half a line of the lyrics. Why couldn't they just have an instrumental version?Why!?

Comments

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    This may be a really stupid question..

But why did they so often include dub versions on hip hop singles? They're totally unuseable.. They do that stupid thing where they play half a line of the lyrics. Why couldn't they just have an instrumental version?

Why!?
    [/quote

I've often wondered this as well. My only guess is that their for DJ mixing. Use the dub as an into/outro and then bring the vocal version in. Or also to be used as a break down in the middle of a vocal version.
    Just a guess. I'm also wondering if some of these are the secondary tracks where the rappers goes in a doubles some of his vocals for effect???? (it doesn't really seem like it.)

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    That's for performance - they keep the adlibs and choruses on there to back up the rapper(s). As to why they are commercially released instead of just test-pressed/promoed, that's probably a call made by dummies at the labels.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    That's for performance - they keep the adlibs and choruses on there to back up the rapper(s). As to why they are commercially released instead of just test-pressed/promoed, that's probably a call made by dummies at the labels.

Is a fact or a guess? (no hate) I've heard a lot where it really just seems like a dub version with delay and everything. Also, I've seem shows where they litterally play the vocal version and the rappers rap right over it.

• saulgravysaulgravy 112 Posts
    i think they're for live performances. sometimes they call it the "tv track." instrumentals with back up vocals and hooks. but yeah, unless you're having a dipset karaoke session*, they're kinda useless. just put the instrumental on there!

*not a bad idea.

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts

But why did they so often include bassdrums and random samples in accapellas on hip hop singles? (see eric b and rakim) They're totally unuseable.. They do that stupid thing where they play some stabs and bassdrums. Why couldn't they leave out instruments in the accapellas?

Why!?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    You know, I've been meaning to ask the same thing for a while now... But Urrrss's's's answer does make sense....

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    i'm a genius and a motherfucking poet

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    sometimes they call it the "tv track."

what i've always wondered is why call it the "tv track"?

but yeah, unless you're having a dipset karaoke session*not a bad idea.

you fucking hipster*

*i'm there

• prof_rockwellprof_rockwell 2,867 Posts

But why did they so often include dub versions on hip hop singles?

Why!?

Well, dub versions have been around since the 60's and 70's when all the Jamaican dudes starting making them from their favorite riddims. And since hip hop in NYC in the early days was influenced a lot by the sound systems (Kool Herc is an immigrant, yo!) the early hip hop 12" followed that same pattern. The adlibs and vocal snippets they leave in are usually delayed out the wazooo

You rarely see a 'dub' version on newer hip hop 12": the TV track like folks have been saying, but the TV tracks aren't even dubs like the old school ones - basically an alternate instrumental.

Know your history, read this:

• saulgravysaulgravy 112 Posts

my guess is because rappers use them for their on-air tv performances.

i brought up dipset because a bunch of their 12"s come with the aforemetioned tracks. i want the jim jones "crunk musik" instrumental and they give this stupid dub!

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    Ya know, this is a very good question. I made a record myself back in the days with a dub version and have NO idea why it was done, other than we just followed what everybody else was doing. A lot of these dub versions (mine included) brought the vocals in and out at random, with no real rhyme or reason. It's not like it was just the adlibs so that it could be used for live performances... it was more like, "hey, let's mute out the vocal track, then we'll just bring it in with an echo right HERE... then take it back out. That felt good, let's do it again in about 12 seconds!" Wish I knew what that was all about my damn self.

• el_sparkoel_sparko 884 Posts

My guess is because it's what i hear as a soundbed for some tv shows, on mtv they play these not strictly instrumentals a lot...