Do the old guys forget what they were about?

The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
edited November 2006 in Strut Central
Case in point: Blue CheerI had the great opportunity to DJ with Blue Cheer Saturday night. When I was 13, I held a tape recorder up to the TV to record "Summertime Blues" off of MTV's closet classics...needlees to say I am a big fan. Now, I know age gets to these dudes..Paul Whaley(drummer) didnt have the abandon or style he had back in 67-68, that is understandable to a point (Art Blakey and Buddy Rich were killing shit into their 70s, Jazz drummers of a higher caliber, sure, but passion knows no chops), Dickie Peterson kept shit real...still sounds the same singing, Bass was on some bowel rattling level-he was fucking great. But the guitarist(who has now been playing with them for 20 years) was absolutely fucking awful. I called him "Stevie Ray Guitar Center"...Paul and Dickie have to know that his tone and playing his not "Blue Cheer"...I mean it sounded like ASS. He didnt even play some of the songs correctly, sure the notes were right, but none of the swagger or insanity...shit, dude had Chorus on his shit..how fucking un-hard rock...and his soloing was horrendous..no noise, no elephant mating sounds coming from his amp...just boring ass tech-blues...these dudes forgot what people wanted to hear. I guess to make that kind of music correctly you have to be 22 and have a head full of Owsely acid.Dickie was cool to talk to though, also Paul was cool as hell... I should be glad they are still out there doing it, I suppose.

Comments

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    well, thats what you get for going to see Blue Cheer in 2006[/b]

• well, thats what you get for going to see Blue Cheer in 2006[/b]

thats my point, it would be easier and cheaper for them to sound like it was 1968...86 the thousands of dollars in digital eq's and digital guitar processors and just throw a fuzz face and vox wah into the marshall stack...there is no reason for them to sound like they did, I mean The Stooges 2006, although not as insane im sure as 1970 Stooges, still sound like the 1970 stooges...Ron Asheton knows what he is about.