Decent piece on collecting from The Voice

faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
edited May 2005 in Strut Central
Post-Bop ShoppingFor fans in general and collectors in particular, a crucial social locus enters the virtual age by Francis DavisMay 26th, 2005 5:41 PM [/b]http://www.villagevoice.com/music/0522,jazz1,64437,22.htmlOne I finally nabbed a few years ago was the 1957 Riverside double Coleman Hawkins: A Documentary, a talking record on which the saxophone patriarch reminisces about the early days. I happened to mention I was looking for it during a phone conversation with a dealer from the West Coast, who immediately offered to sell me his. "I don't collect records anymore," he said. "I decided it was a sickness." But after we agreed on a price, he said I could pay him in stamps if I had any that were colorful or rare???"That's what I'm into now." I felt like I was at an AA meeting, watching somebody chain-smoking and gulping black coffee while reporting how many days he'd been off the sauce.

Comments

• coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts
    A nice companion piece is the "Busted for Being Black" at Middlebury College.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Is that Tom in the picture?

Thankfully, there are still good shops here that don't throw everything on ebay. Academy is treading on dangerous ground with that, but there's still plenty of goodies to be had.

• DenmarkVZDenmarkVZ 397 Posts
    One could say Francis Davis is the real deal.

• I heart Coleman Hawkins.

Tone Tone Tone