Euro Digging - Germany Holland and Belgium

llmod1llmod1 317 Posts
edited November 2006 in Strut Central
Been back around a week now from a 2 week excursion to Germany, Holland and Belgium. Had a blast and found tons of great records. Went to Germany first and stayed with all round top bloke Grope, went to Frankfurt, Marburg and a couple of other spots. Cheers to Jan for being a great host!! Next went on to Holland and visited Utrecht, Rotterdam, Amsterdam, Leiden, Delft and Den Hague. Finally ended up in Belgium staying with our very own Pokester and went to Antwerp, Ghent and Brussels.The average price spent on records was around 10 Euros, the most expensive was 50 Euros.I???m hoping to post some snaps in the next couple of days, if someone could help me host some snaps get in touch.The first lot are all spares:Facts of Life ??? Sometimes ??? Gospel soul group that do a great cover of Uphill Peace of MindKlaus Doldinger ??? The Ambassador ??? Stunning double LP, tons of great tracks with my fav being his version of Creams I Feel Free.Vangelis ??? Earth ??? French only release with the best version of Let it Happen.Lieve Hugo ??? Wang Piepel ??? Dutch Suriname connection here, one great Fela style afro funk stormer.Messegers ??? ST ??? German funky fusion, best track is Hancock???s Hideaway.Juhani Aaltonen & Otto Donner ??? Strings ??? Great Finnish fusion on the amazing Love label.Perez Prado ??? Tequilla ??? One of the few really hot Prado releases from the 70???s. Every track is funky.Nieman Enigmatic ??? The gold cover double LP, lots of funky euro Hammond action.Esra Mohawk ??? ST ??? Really cool female folk funk with my fav version of Summertime.Bonnie Dobson ??? ST ??? I Got Stung, Winters Coming, etc. Great downtempo funky folk with big beats.Kjell Karlsen ??? Do you Mind ??? Most of this LP is boring but the big band cut loose on one track and it rocks!John Brown Juniors Go Go Music ??? Watch What Happens ??? A Roy Budd alter ego, really cool funky organ r n b covers.The Carnival ??? ST ??? Insired by Sergio Mendes these guys do a storming version of Laia Ladaia.Zack Lawrence ??? A Taste of ??? UK library bod produces a couple of really funky numbers on here particularly Mississippi Delta.Bonnie Dobson ??? Good Morning rain - Her other good LP, Milk and Honey is the standout imho.Alphonse Mouzon ??? Funky Snake Foot ??? One of my fav funky Blue Notes, loads of cool tracks.Jack Daughtery ??? The Class of 1971 ??? Funky big band bizzness, highly recommended if that???s your sound.Klaus Doldinger ??? In South America ??? Klaus goes south of the border and produces some beautiful funky Brazilian jazz.Rockworkshop ??? The Very Last Time ??? One of the best UK LP???s and one you don???t see often. The instrumental I Think It???s??? is amazing.Archie Shepp & The family of Percussion ??? Here comes the Family ??? I remember first hearing this over 10 years ago played by GP on his radio show. Amazing downtempo track.Marsha Hunt ??? ST ??? Polish release containing her version of Southern Man, great version and amazing voice.Vanity Fare ??? Hitchin??? a Ride ??? The track Megowd is a funky Hammond number that went down well at Brillo when I gave it an airing.Carla Bley ??? Dinner Music ??? The track Song Sung Low is a great downtempo number that was sampled by a big wig US producer.Joe Gallardo ??? Latino Blue ??? Funky Brasilain fusion via Germany with the stand out being the track Sambita.The Jean Leccia Interpolation ??? This is the same LP as the Brown and Gold covered Lexia LP. This caused a bit of a stir when Hugh played it down at Brillo, can???t remember which track he played but my fav is Lady Rain. I???ve seen this issue less than The Lexia one. Does anyone know which one came first and which is the rarest?San Francisco Co ??? Various ??? Comp of Bay Area bands featuring Cold Blood and Hammer. Sealed.Erik Tagg ??? Rendevous ??? US vocalist who recorded this Dutch only LP. Funky soul LP that is in great demand.The Animated Egg ??? ST ??? Legendary LP sampled by PE to great effect. Funky moog exploito tracks, whole LP is great but Sock it my Way is the best.Jean Jacques Perry ??? Moog Indigo ??? Another classic exploito LP containing the Gangstarr sampled EVA.Mojo Magic ??? ST ??? Funky hippie rock, lots of cool tracks.Jose Feliciano ??? And the Feeling Good ??? Golden Lady is a classic London Jazz Dance track and one that I never tire of hearing.Max Greger ??? Sunshine Starshine ??? Most of what Max produced is poop but this LP has two blinding Hammond numbers Soul House and Soul Breeze. He also produced a son that made the legendary funky German fusion LP???s Catch Up.Stan Kenton ??? Hair ??? His version of Coloured Spade has an amazingly funkly intro that is dying to be sampled.Jonathan ??? ST ??? German fusion LP that???s a big favourite amongst hip hop producers for its beats.Eugen Cicero ??? Und Jetzt Spielt ??? Contains the best version of Come Together, an old Gilles P classic.Jeff Cooper ??? Tribute to Jimi ??? Another exploito LP that has links I believe to The Animated Egg LP, Git Some, The Bust, patch of Grass are great tracks.Neil Ardley ??? Kaleidoscope of Rainbows ??? Great 70???s UK fusion.Don Randi Trio + 1 ??? Live at the Baked Potato ??? Don Randi is like Ramsey Lewis at his funkiest. Loads of tracks on here, Tubesteak, 2001, etc.Heavy Traffic ??? Various ??? Soundtrack to a 70???s cartoon featuring some super funky tracks by Merl Saunders.Mombassa ??? African Rhythm and Blues ??? Legendary first LP from this German group, every track is a funky jazzy afro winner!Well that???s it for now. I???ll post up the second half tomorrow. You???ve probably ahd enough by now!!! Tomorrow will be a list of the keepers including one holy grail Belgium LP found in mint condition at a Flea for 15Euros!!!

Comments

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    Doldinger - with my fav being his version of Creams I Feel Free.

originally released on the Motherhood LP on Liberty that I told you about! The first s/t Motherhood LP.

Mark, it was great to meet you! You bought some nice records and I hope we'll meet again. Maybe in Utrecht later this year?
    Thanks for all the freebies. I really like the Santana cover LP.

• llmod1llmod1 317 Posts
    I was wondering what LP I Feel Free came from, cheers for the info.

Again thanks very much for being a wonderful host, really had a blast.

I hope to go to Utrecht in Dec but it depends on finances and if I can persuade my girlfriend to allow more records into the house this year.

Another find I had in Germany was from Jan's own pc, bit of a steal this one!!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?V...21980&rd=1&rd=1

Jan, I've been trying to find some of the other bits I wrote down whilst at yours but not having much joy yet. What should I pay for the Snake in the Grass LP? Remind me, is it a one tracker?

Also saw this, is this a fair price or is it over the top?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...p;rd=1&rd=1

Don't forget I'm first in line if you find some German Raers!!

ps Glad your enjoying the freebies!!

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    Jan, I've been trying to find some of the other bits I wrote down whilst at yours but not having much joy yet. What should I pay for the Snake in the Grass LP? Remind me, is it a one tracker?

it's a good record. not a one tracker. i just found out that it's the same band as the black birds lp on OPP. i listened to that record in frankfurt. a great band. but the snake in the grass lp shouldn't be more expensive than 20 euros. i bought my copy for about 10-15. the black birds lp is very expensive though. maybe people don't know that it's the same band yet...

Also saw this, is this a fair price or is it over the top?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...p;rd=1&rd=1
    way way way way way over the top! look at his other records. i bought the soul fire lp for cheap (mostly because i like the cover).
    i've been to that guy's house. he's a little strange. i won't buy from him again. i don't know what he's thinking. i went through all of his records (about 20,000) and only came up with two records that were not totally overpriced...

Don't forget I'm first in line if you find some German Raers!!

fo' schnitzzzzzel. i'll drink me a PIMM'S ginger ale tonight. with a sliced orange piece. wimbledon in my mind. i'll swing my tennis racket.

HEY, Antje and me found out why the blanket was too small for you. it was still folded. acually, it was double the size you were using... haha. how drunk were you?

• llmod1llmod1 317 Posts
    HEY, Antje and me found out why the blanket was too small for you. it was still folded. acually, it was double the size you were using... haha. how drunk were you?
    Damn, you shattered my illusion of being a big guy!!!

I didn't think I was that drunk, however..............

Found a few bits online tonight, I wrote these down so I must like them but I can't remember what they were like. Remind me please:

Jurgen Franke Sextet

The Little Boy Blues Band

Saw your auctions, hope they go well!

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts

Klaus Doldinger ??? The Ambassador ??? Stunning double LP, tons of great tracks with my fav being his version of Creams I Feel Free.

this one has a very similar tracklist to the S/T 2LP from 1971, right?
    I feel free, Brazilian thoroughfare, Sahara...

Is there additional heat on it, which makes it worth to buy as well?

• llmod1llmod1 317 Posts
    Sounds like the same LP, what year is the ST one from and what does the cover look like?

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    Sounds like the same LP, what year is the ST one from and what does the cover look like?

I am talking about this one from 1973

gimmick cover (cut-out window) and gatefold

It came out to celebrate 20 years of Klaus Doldinger on stage (as stated on the promo sheet I found inside) includes sitar beat as well. I LOVE this one and it goes for some money (according to popsike).
    When I bought it two weeks ago they also had a copy of the Ambassador 2LP and now I wonder if it would include more heat.

• llmod1llmod1 317 Posts
    Oh this one, I have that aswell, I'll compare track listings. The Ambassador doesn't have Sitar Beat on it.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

I didn't think I was that drunk, however..............
    just kidding. i know you weren't drunk.

Jurgen Franke Sextet
    A Little Bit of Beat has two nice songs. One Mohawk-esque and a Quincy Jones like Jazz groove BANGER. I've seen it on eBay for 50 Euros (but that's probably too much)

The Little Boy Blues Band
    Just a nice organ Rock record from 1967 or so. Someone used a sample from it. I bought it, because I liek the sound. A very good, jazzy Rock LP. You can probably find it for 30 USD online.

Saw your auctions, hope they go well!
    I decided to sell some recent finds. The Emtidi is the one I bought in Giessen. The Mac Machine seems to be sought-after in France. It has been sold for 900!!! i hope to get 150-200.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

don't know. shouldn't be that funky. but reiner (the local collector) talked about a record like that last weak. either frank pleyer or paul kuhn. i would never pay more than 20 euros for those two records though. they shouldn't ne hard to find in germany. and i doubt they are really funky.

frank pleyer released a nice library on europhon. most of his mps releases are weak.

• Just out of curiosity llmod...which stores in Gent and Antwerp did you visit??
    I used to go to Gent quite a lot a couple of years ago.
    There's a great store full of books and records...it's a complete mess but fun to go for digging. Scooped quite a few interesting records there.

• llmod1llmod1 317 Posts
    In Antwerp I went to record Collector and the other stores in that street, can't remember their names.

I know the store you're talking about in Ghent, I went there too, only bought one thing, lots of records but nothing really interesting.

• llmod1llmod1 317 Posts
    Are you from Utrecht?

I'm always there on the wrong day to go to the Beat Cellar, I've been to Utrecht about 8 times and the cellar only twice. had some amazing records out of there.

• llmod1llmod1 317 Posts
    Ok, here is part two of my finds. These are the keepers!

Francis Lai ??? ST ??? Not seen this LP before, great psych sleeve art and a cool version of Johnny Harris??? Footprints on the Moon.

Kool and the Gang ??? Live at the Sex Machine ??? Had this LP for a long time but I???ve never found found the Dutch issue which has a pic on the sleeve of a body builder with a naked girl hanging off of each arm!

Speed Limit ??? ST ??? Bought this because it is on Chant du Monde, don???t know anything about the band other than they???re French. They play Placebo like fusion, the first track has a long break beat intro. Can anyone tell me anything about these guys?

Ahmad Jamal ??? Jamalca ??? One of those records that had always eluded me. Most well known for its much sampled Misdemeanour.

Yellow Sunshine ??? ST ??? Another UBB track that I was yet to find, title tarck is the one.

Toots Thielemans ??? The Salient One ??? Legendary Belgian Harmonica player, gets funky on a couple oft rack on this double LP.

On the Seventh Day ??? ST ??? This is a weird one. Psych, soul, gospel with loads of spoken word thrown in. Can anyone shed some light on this, I really like it.

Beast ??? ST ??? Like the record above I know nothing about these guys. The perform a track called Floating which has a great folky funk vibe to it.

Irakere ??? 1973-1979 vol 2 ??? Found this record in Cuba about 8 years ago but it was predictably rather messy. Found a stone mint copy now in Holland! The track Bacalao Con Pan is great funky latin jazz.

Nucleus ??? Direct Hits ??? This may make it to the spares pile as I have all the originals that the tracks on here are culled from. Roots is the funkiest number but I like all their stuff.

Kid Dynamite ??? ST ??? Continuing on the UBB theme, here is the version of Uphill Piece of Mind they use.

Nico Gomez ??? Bossa Nova ??? This is probably the second most desirable Gomez LP after Ritual, I really love the dodgy bossa track Rio.

Gene Russell ??? Listen Here ??? Grope pointed this one out to me (cheers!) Not one I???d seen before, great version of Listen Here but the whole LP is really listenable.

African People ??? Stop Pushing ??? Really pleased to find this rarity. Funky black rock LP, it???s Italian but I???m not sure where the artists are from originally. If anyone has any info on this one I???d appreciate it.

Bob Emery + Greg Bobulinski ??? The Tortured Prophet ??? Again I know nothing about these guys. The music is veering towards the free jazz side but they get funky on the title track. Anyone have any info about this?

Kieran White ??? Open Door ??? Somebody comped his version of JJ Cale???s Cajun Moon which is a lovely funky folk number. This is the LP it comes from.

Neil Ardley ??? Harmony of the Spheres ??? In my mind slightly more accessible than kaleidoscope. Gentle warm fusion sounds.

Haare ??? German cast ??? This is one of the best versions of Hair I???ve heard featuring the Broadway matadors and Sue Kramer. Most tracks have a really funky intro.

Don Anderson and Friends ??? The Eagle Flies ??? German fusion outfit that get really funky in places. Thanks again to Grope for the recommendation.

American Youth Jazz Band ??? 1976 ??? High School band getting real funky on a version of Donald Byrd???s Black Jack.

Michael Urbaniak ??? Super Constellation ??? Flute driven funky German jazz.

Udo Jurgens ??? Udo 71 ??? This guy has hundreds of LP???s, most are pants. This has the track Peace Now which is well worth seeking out for cheap.

The Perry London ??? Hell Drivers ??? New MPS LP to me. Most is hopeless but they get funky on one or two tracks
    Super Rock ??? Group featuring JP Jones, Jimmy Page, Nicky Hopkins, etc ??? This has one great funky instrumental track titled Burn Up. Had to be good really with a name like that!

Nathan Davis ??? The Hip Walk ??? Beautiful jazz LP that I???ve been after for ages. Not the original saba issue but a later MPS pressing. Stunning!

Conroy ??? London???s Underground 2 ??? One cool track on this otherwise not very exciting library.

Tele Music ??? Mondial Scope ??? Some nice electronic stuff on here but nothing to get too excited about.

Brian Bennett ??? Illustrated London Noise ??? A long time white whale found. The most expensive LP I bought on my travels at 50 Euros but one I???m finally glad to have.

Ray Barretto ???Hard Hands ??? This completes my collection of Barretto LP???s that I was after. Love the title track and the song Love Beads but the rest of the LP is not bad at all.

Pekka Pohjola ??? Pihkasilma Kaarnakorva ??? Finnish artist produces a choral jazz LP, bit free in places but generally a beautiful listen.

My final LP find was in Ghent flea market, found at about 11am after loads of other people had been through the box. In amongst 1 and 2 Euro LP???s, the seller must have known this was something special as he had it for a hefty 15Euros which he actually apologised to me for!

Placebo ??? ST ??? Mint copy of an LP that I???ve been lusting after for ever since Counterpoint released their comp. This is a stunning LP! Now to find the other two for less than ??300 each!!

45???s

Afrique ??? Soul Makossa

Jeckyl and Hyde Processing Band ??? Black Trip ??? Downtempo funky Dusty Fingers type track.

Jean Claude Petit ??? Black System ??? See above.

Joe Frazier ??? Knockout Drop ??? Cool funky novelty record from the boxer.He actually has a pretty god voice.

The Caravals ??? Caravan ??? Cool funky Hammond number.

Jean Jacques ??? Hypnosereelle ??? Weird hypnosis record with one funky psychy side.

Bobby Setter and Co ??? Free Love ??? Belgian funky Hammond.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Marsha Hunt ??? ST ??? Polish release containing her version of Southern Man, great version and amazing voice.

The orange/green striped one? I just pulled that one out recently and listened to it out after it had been sitting on my shelf for years. I like that version too. That vocal intro is begging to be sampled.

• Check your PM llmod

• llmod1llmod1 317 Posts
    Check your PM llmod

Just checked, nothing there?

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts

My final LP find was in Ghent flea market, found at about 11am after loads of other people had been through the box. In amongst 1 and 2 Euro LP???s, the seller must have known this was something special as he had it for a hefty 15Euros which he actually apologised to me for!

Placebo ??? ST ??? Mint copy of an LP that I???ve been lusting after for ever since Counterpoint released their comp. This is a stunning LP! Now to find the other two for less than ??300 each!!

DAMN!

DAMN!

DOUBLE DAMN!

nice.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

Speed Limit ??? ST ??? Bought this because it is on Chant du Monde, don???t know anything about the band other than they???re French. They play Placebo like fusion, the first track has a long break beat intro. Can anyone tell me anything about these guys?

DAMN!

DAMN!

DOUBLE DAMN!

nice.

i just got my copy. extra nice!

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    the bookstore in ghent is called "de kaft" (kortrijksepoortstraat)

• Check your PM llmod

Just checked, nothing there?

I sent you a pm about the utrecht fair and stuff. Strange you didn't get it. Get in touch with me when you're in Utrecht again...would be nice to meet up.