Record storage

Mr. CasualMr. Casual 953 Posts
edited November 2006 in Strut Central
I want to get those wooden shelves that basically look like does IKEA have this.. or is there another cheap ass store to find an item like this?

Comments

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,890 Posts

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    thats whats up. Ive been looking for one for a while. I have wire frame racks/cubes from target stacked up. Its a little flimsy though but can hold about 50 lbs a shelf.

• Expedits are about as good as it gets. I like the new 2 square X 4 square model on its side. The shelves end up being not quite as strong as they could be (the weight ends up on the wooden pegs), but I haven't had a problem. Its good for throwing stereo equipment on top of in the living room or wherever. Then I have a 4 X 4 model in another room.

One nice thing about them is that they can come apart really easily come moving time. I've broken down my 4 X 4 and reassembled it three times already and you'd never know it.

IKEA might as well just come out and say they're designed for records. Though, what is it with vintage/hipster clothing stores having them? Is it just me?

• Does it have enough depth to put my decks on top?... basically using the top as a desk.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Home Depot has a great modular system. I'm phasing out the bricks before the next move though!

• marumaru 1,450 Posts

IKEA might as well just come out and say they're designed for records. Though, what is it with vintage/hipster clothing stores having them? Is it just me?

they really do seem like they're designed solely for records but i see so many stores with them that use them as bookshelfs and display cases for vases and random knick knacks.

• Does it have enough depth to put my decks on top?... basically using the top as a desk.

It depends. If you set up your tables battle style, no. If you set them up standard style it would probably work. Your mixer might be too long though, if you count the space in the back you need for the power plug.

The depth of an expedit is about 15.5 inches. You need about 18 inches for technics in battle style. I was thinking about this the other day, that's why I know all this. It would have been perfect, but it's not. You could always pull the shelves out a little bit and put some sort of table top on top of the shelves to make up for the lack of depth. But if you do that your records might fall out the back.

Ikea also has new boxes that are perfect for records. They have handles on them and are only $10 each. It's got handles, kind of like a wooden milk crate. They also have lp crates that have wheels (not practical for djing out, but kind of cool if you keep a little box of stuff you are currently listening to or using) and some that fit 45s pretty perfectly.

The shape of my room would only allow me to set up a 4X4 expedit and a 5X5. This made them imbalanced in height. I bought 4 of the $10 cubes and put them on top of the 4X4 and now the two shelves look the same height. Ikea has good options. Just make sure you pay attention to measurements there. they have a bunch of shelves that look perfect, but are only like 11 3/8 inches tall in each cube.

• I was thinking about attaching some board on top that would over hang the top by about 10 inches... creating a space for my decks and mixer.. and kaoss pad.. than drill some safety latches on the back into the wall so it would not topple forward..

• IVAR=cheaper and i might argue sturdier than the expedit, plus you have lots of options as far as hooking them up together.
    CURRENT SET UP

OLDER SET UPS

• BEST ENTRY TO A BATHROOM EVAR?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I use Ivars but I have to say - they are NOT more stable than Expedits. In both cases, you have to anchor that shit into the wall just to be really safe but more to the point with the Ivars, the construction is not inherently stable. In an earthquake, there's no way the structure would hold.

• fejmelbafejmelba 1,139 Posts
    build one yourself

• ZachDZachD 318 Posts
    Does it have enough depth to put my decks on top?... basically using the top as a desk.

Ikea also has new boxes that are perfect for records. They have handles on them and are only $10 each. It's got handles, kind of like a wooden milk crate. They also have lp crates that have wheels (not practical for djing out, but kind of cool if you keep a little box of stuff you are currently listening to or using) and some that fit 45s pretty perfectly.

The shape of my room would only allow me to set up a 4X4 expedit and a 5X5. This made them imbalanced in height. I bought 4 of the $10 cubes and put them on top of the 4X4 and now the two shelves look the same height. Ikea has good options. Just make sure you pay attention to measurements there. they have a bunch of shelves that look perfect, but are only like 11 3/8 inches tall in each cube.

Thanks for this info.. they are opening an IKEA outside of Austin.. I think tomorrow. They will probably be out of EXPEDIT in a week.

Here is something I will add.. I have a 5x5 and a 4x4 expedit and they are great but if you also have DJ crates they are not the greatest thing.. you can get 'deep sweater boxes' at Container Store for $8. They are see through plastic and have lids and you can stack them 3 high (maybe 4 but you will probably crack the lid on the bottom one). They fit records perfectly and the lids keep your records cleaner than milk crates.

A super secret double probation trick though is that you can fill a sweater box with records and then put it IN the expedit cube (not with lid though). Then you can pull out whichever crate(s) you might need when you need them. This makes crating records around a lot easier than trying to pull what you need from the cubes and having to put them back later.

• edulusedulus 421 Posts
    http://www.ttvj.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=28&products_id=464

pricey, but nice....dont thinkt hey will stand up to earthquakes for ODub, but we dont have that problem in VA.

• I use Ivars but I have to say - they are NOT more stable than Expedits. In both cases, you have to anchor that shit into the wall just to be really safe but more to the point with the Ivars, the construction is not inherently stable. In an earthquake, there's no way the structure would hold.

thats a good point regarding earthquakes, i dont have to think of such things when considering my options for record storage. the reason why i said i "might" argue that the ivar is sturdier is that ivars are made from solid wood whereas the expedit is particle board, am i wrong about the expedit? i remember people posting about how after moving a few times with the expedit and taking it apart and putting it back together, that it not being as stable. also i throw those support straps away, no need for them. i also use at least 2 of the cross braces on the back for added support, i believe they only call for one.

on the pic below, i dont think even an earthquake would bring this down, one human certainly couldnt bring it down, shit is solid as hell! i have those plastic zip ties holding the separate shelves together, you can kid of see them in the pic, they are white:

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    how many records would you say you could fit into one of those deep sweater boxes?.....