Wild Things f. Bill Murray and Kevin Bacon frontal

edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
edited November 2006 in Strut Central
what's the deal with this movie? is it supposed to be clever bad on purpose or just trashy bad?the reason i ask is because i was browsing netflix, saw the page for it and all the crit reviews on the page (like from ebert and the NYT) give it four stars. huh?
"It's like a three-way collision between a softcore sex film, a soap opera and a B-grade noir. I liked it." ... Read More
"Lucky John McNaughton. Best known for the harder-edged Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer and Mad Dog and Glory," he hits the 90210 jackpot with a slick, steamy tale of nonstop treachery..." ... Read More
"Wild Things gets into trouble when it aspires to be more than a sex exploitation movie." ... Read More
really four stars? should i risk it (son)?

Comments

• yeah it's awful.

that said, there is a split second shot of Denise Richards getting out of the hottub that is among the finest in the history of cinema.

• yeah it's awful.

that said, there is a split second shot of Denise Richards getting out of the hottub that is among the finest in the history of cinema.

Don't forget the threesome scene!

Herm

• oh, I didn't Herm. you can beleive I didn't.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Miz Daymn,

It's a highly entertaining B-movie with few redeemable qualities for thinking people but that shouldn't be the reason you don't watch it. It's a solid junky film.

• I think it's a great modern noir with a very self-conscious sense of trashiness & kitsch. One of the best latenight cable erotic thrillers you can watch. Joe Bob says check it out!

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    this movie was the shit in middle school or whenever it came out

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Don't ever trust movie reviews

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,898 Posts
    Worth it for Neecy alone.

Do it.

Do. It.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Matt Dillon's pocket-the-panties adlib is pretty classic.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    i like that movie.

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    I think it's a great modern noir with a very self-conscious sense of trashiness & kitsch. One of the best latenight cable erotic thrillers you can watch.

co-sleazle

however, I sold my copy after clonning from female visitors.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I appreciate how gratuitous just about everything in that movie is. Typically, if you set out to make trash, you'll make bad trash; this is one of the few instances where the result is palatable, even enjoyable trash.

• i find this idea of 4 star trash completely intriguing. i'm sold

my friend told me that kevin bacon insisted that frontal be in the movie as part of his contract or he would not do the movie. that would be hilarious if only it were true

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    my friend told me that kevin bacon insisted that frontal be in the movie as part of his contract or he would not do the movie. that would be hilarious if only it were true

Wouldn't be too big of a surprise.

I'm pretty sure he got naked in that movie he played an evil invisible man. That movie was of the traditional (zero star) trash varietal.

My all-time favorite bad Kevin Bacom movie is Quicksilver, where he plays a Wall Street trader-turned-bike messagener. His solo bike-dancing scenes were so very next-level.

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    Bill Murray is actually pretty good in this too