Your computer

DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
edited November 2006 in Strut Central
I was packing up after my set last night and the other dj takes my computer and throws it in my bag and I kindly asked him if he minded turning it off first. He told me it's ok it's just sleeping and his has been on for three years straight! How long has your computer been on? That can't be good for it can it? I turn mine off every day.

Comments

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    ive heard this too. I like to cold boot mines once a while, but for the most part i keep my laptop and desktop on 24-7. bad thing though that i actually noticed today that on my laptop, i dont use a screensaver cause it helps to make the pc run faster for studio work and Microwave. I left reason on without touching the shit for 3 days and now i got a subtle etching of reasons transport burned into my screen.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    You dont need to turn your comp off every day, but once a week just to clear your caches and stuff is a good thing in my book. I cant imagine it's possible to leave any machine running for 3 whole years without a restart, unless you never update your software or go on vacation (or have any kind of social life).

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Keeping it on forever is just stupid.

However, it isn't recommended to turn off & start up multiple times per day.

Starting up early, then turning off before you go to sleep, should work decently.

• I keep telling my wife "yer gonna kill that lap top".

She never shuts it down, she closes the cover nad it hybernates.

Then she wonders why its so slow to come back up after 6 months of doing so.

My desktop stays on for months at a time with out a reboot, but sometimes It starts to chug and slow down.

A quick reboot and a cache pruge and its all better.

Peace for Now, Peace for Later

• When I was living in the tropics I would only occaisonally turn my computer off during the wet season as I found i would get less mould etc growing if it was constanty on.

i don't turn my computer off that much as I always have torrent files downloading but make sure i turn it off every now and then