Saddam Verdict

white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
edited November 2006 in Strut Central
Saddam could be sentenced to death as early as Sunday in the first of several trials against him -- only two days before the U.S. midterms. Is this a coincidence or just great timing for the Republicans, other war-backers? I say coincidence, but a good one for the Redbacks. But enough to have an effect like the Osama on TV moment during the 2004 presidential race? I'm not so sure.

Comments

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    ...wasnt he already supposed to be sentanced from the first trial? When looking for updates I kept reading something to the effect of: "trial finished, verdict due 15th October 2006". And I never heard a thing. Was it posponed?

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Hmm, I'm not sure if it's been delayed. But I read an article today that said he's supposed to be sentenced Sunday in the first trial, for "crimes against humanity for the killing of 148 Shi'ite villagers after an attempt on his life in the town of Dujail in 1982." So it probably was delayed -- especially considering that three members of his defense team were killed and a judge quit.

Plus, Saddam has said he doesn't want to be hanged but would rather be killed by firing squad.