Bird On 52nd Street

Terry_ClubbupTerry_Clubbup 833 Posts
edited November 2006 in Strut Central
I was just checking this record out the other night:It's hilarious - on the front it clearly says "High Fidelity".But when you look below the liner notes at the bottom of the backcover it has, in a box:------------------------------------------------------THIS IS NOT A HIGH FIDELITY ALBUM. Due to a printing error the words"High Fidelity" appear on the cover. This album is being released becauseof its inarguable historical validity.[/b]------------------------------------------------------Due to a printing error.YEAH.So you mean, the back cover was printed at a later date than the frontcover? Is this Charles Mingus playing a joke on us all, foisting uponus some of the lowest-fidelity recordings ever, as recorded on a cheapportable reel-to-reel by trombonist Jimmy Knepper, who Mingus later clocked in the jaw so hard that Knepper couldn't play for a few years?(Mingus was an owner of Debut Records).Anyway, there's music on this here disc - in moments.For those of you with Folkways leanings and cassette tape-repairinglevels of patience. In his day Charlie Parker would just blow alongfor a little while and then suddenly peel off a bouquet that wouldastonish your socks. Mostly you can only hear Parker and Max Roachdropping bombs on these fragments. (Max Roach was another owner of Debut Records).And if you found out that this kind of thing was your cup of meat,you might as well plunk down for the Mosaic box set ofComplete Benedetti Recordings of Charlie Parker[/b]:YEAH. Dean Benedetti used to follow Charlie Parker and record himlive on a portable record-lathe, as pictured. I don't know if latheis the right word, but these recordable records only held three minutes.Both Knepper and Benedetti would only record one chorus and Parker's solos,nobody elses solos, no bridges. Benedetti wasn't often even that generous,his recordings are just solo after solo. I'm sure somewhere there's a deranged and addled Deadhead that did this with Jerry's solos. And Frank Zappa pretty much did this for himself with the Shut Up AndPlay Your Guitar[/b] series.The appreciation of genius has limits!

Comments

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Ha! Totally. I sold that record a long time ago. Worst sounding record EVAR.