Help! Buying A New Computer

jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
edited November 2006 in Strut Central
i know nothing about computers so hopefully some of yall can help.im trying to spend $1500 or under.laptop or desktopneed space for a few thousand pictures and songsi was looking at macs because thats what im working on now. i was raised pc but havent used one since '02 and i dont think the wife has ever used one.i do not need to record professionally and im not building websites or need some super computer.just something practical that i can do work on. the laptop im working with now will be for travel so another laptop isnt necessary but im down to get one if it works for what i need it to do.suggestions?

Comments

• Have you been to the Apple store on Stockton St. right off Market? I think $1000 or $1500 is the minimum price for Apple's (do we not call them Mac's anymore?). I built a very nice computer for like $700. I just used some online guide to help me out. Piece of cake. Of course that's a PC. It probably would have been even cheaper if I'd bought my parts at Fry's instead of CompUSA but I needed a computer ASAP at the time.

My only advice otherwise is avoid Dell. I've had two of them take dumps on me even though I put them through minimal use.

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    you can get a pc for super cheap, but keep in mind you are buying a piece of garbage

mac refurbs are definitly cheaper than the new ones and if you buy the apple care for it your basically guarenteed that your comp will be squeeky all 24/7

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    Dude... I am building a new computer soon so you can just have mine. I was gonna drop it off at Goodwill otherwise. It's plenty good for what you want to do. You'd only need to get a monitor. What's your time frame? I was gonna order the parts next week most likely.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Justin,

For your needs, there's a ton of Mac products that will fill the bill, both desktop or laptop.

I suggest this:

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/We...1Eq58HVm/2.?p=0

It's simple, doesn't require you to have to buy an extra monitor. You'll have money left over for raers or a few nice meals with Bev. (Absinthe in Hayes Valley. Get familiar).

i know nothing about computers so hopefully some of yall can help.

im trying to spend $1500 or under.
    laptop or desktop
    need space for a few thousand pictures and songs

i was looking at macs because thats what im working on now. i was raised pc but havent used one since '02 and i dont think the wife has ever used one.

i do not need to record professionally and im not building websites or need some super computer.

just something practical that i can do work on. the laptop im working with now will be for travel so another laptop isnt necessary but im down to get one if it works for what i need it to do.

suggestions?

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    i think one of those imacs would suit you well. those all in one joints are great for people that don't need or do anything fancy.