TASTEMAKERS (RR OR NRR)

mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
edited November 2006 in Strut Central
Who do you consider "tastemakers" ? Who has set the trend and the standards of what is considered a specific/distinct "taste" ?A few come to mind:90's:James LavelleNigoStill doing it:Giles PetersonKeb DargeDCarfagnaFeel free to list who you think set trends on fire, old and new.

Comments

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

I SET TRENDS[/b]

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Setting the trends in drunken late-night posting on internet forums:

San Diego's own MORK LATENCY

• the guy who is more well known than u2...aka, Michael Jordan.

set the trend in the late 80s for longer shorts, black sneakers, and being an attractive bald guy.

AI and Sprewell in the late 90s for tattoos, cornrows and disrespect to coaches.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    i find that cannabis is a very effective tastemaker, but not always reliable.

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    love him or hate him:

dude is STILL workin.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    oh schaaps, truly..running thangs on 2" tape no less!

I would also add Hiroshi Fujiwara to my list.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Setting the trends in drunken late-night posting on internet forums:

San Diego's own MORK LATENCY

BEST BELIEVE I BE MOVIN THE MOVEMENT

• I would consider the following people tastemakers now: My man Benji B and also my man junior who does recordbreakin.com. Plus, I would extend this to tastemaker companies in music: Fat Beats Dist. from 1996-2001 ( the hey day), Loud in the early days, and Stones Throw...just my humble opinion.
    amir

• bobbito garcia was a big one for me.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Benji B = right on, dude is killing it. Saw him w/ Theo Parrish when they passed through Chicago and it was amazing - no one else really balances the hip-hop/soul/dance spectrum w/ that detroit influence like he does - and he's british! Crazy.

• Diplo/Hollertronix -

Hate it or love it- these guys have created the aesthetic that you find in most "hip" clubs/partys in this country.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    Diplo/Hollertronix -

Hate it or love it- these guys have created the aesthetic that you find in most "hip" clubs/partys in this country.

Also, the DFA.

And the Pitchfork-ers. Love them or hate them. They have the alot of pull and sway alot of opinions.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    In all seriousness, I'd like to cast a vote for my_mans'n'em[/b]