Backpack revival already?-Kidz in the Hall related

tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
edited October 2006 in Strut Central
http://mixtapetv.com/music/04WheelzFallOff.mp3This is the Rawkus comeback single?I'm not that really that mad at these kids(z) - but I feel like Rawkus is trying to make a statement with this interplotation of '93 till... It's almost a retro move for the late 20's/early 30's crowd and the kids that missed it the first time.

Comments

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    rawkus is not going to do well because all the people who listened to that garbage didnt like rap in the first place and dont listen to it now

• Goddamn, I am SO FUCKING SICK of motherfuckers hooking up beats that have already been done. SICK OF IT. I am MAD AS FUCK DOGGIE!. SAVE YOUR BULLSHIT RENDITION! NO REAL HEAD WANTS THIS SHIT on anything other than a mixtape, sucker.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    rawkus is not going to do well because all the people who listened to that garbage didnt like rap in the first place and dont listen to it now

While I generally approve of such sentiments, this is not entirely true--Rawkus did put out some good music that did find an audience with people that genuinely liked rap (It also put out a lot of bullschitt that found an audience with people that found the image appealing). Records like "Universal Magnetic" and "Fortified Live" sounded really refreshing in 1997 and still hold up, IMO.

Trivia: I'm not the only one that thought so; there's a Jay-Z freestyle from that era over "Fortified Live" floating around out there somewhere.

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts
    i heard a rumor that rawkus paid kool g. rap millions and paid staff in rawkus windbreaker jackets.

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
    i heard a rumor that rawkus paid kool g. rap millions

well deserved...

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    i heard a rumor that rawkus paid kool g. rap millions and paid staff in rawkus windbreaker jackets.

One million. Not technically "millions" (plural).

Which was far too much of course, even without the "s".

But sheeeet, don't ask me 'bout it. I think we have a former Rawkus staffer somewhere in our midst.

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    this track is horrible.

rawkus did release some excellent stuff though. co-flow, mos def - still great.