portable/semi-portable CD-Mixer setup

FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
edited May 2005 in Strut Central
As I've mentioned before, I'll be moving to Guinea in West Africa in a couple of weeks...I still want to do parties down there but don't think it would be a good idea to take all my records with me, first I thought about having dubs made from all my more expensive 45s but I found out that I actualy get a better sound quality from a CD than a dub plate... now I'm thinking about putting all my shit in storage after burning everything onto CD.My question now is:What should I get? I love the idea of a one-unit thing that has 2 CD playersand a mixer all built together so I can take it to the clubs with me.Should be kinda sturdy also.Thanx in advance for your time and effort!Frank

Comments

• jonthedjjonthedj 30 Posts
    Frank...There a Peice Numark maeks for under $500 US thats exactly what you said...2 cd players and a mixer built into 1 unit...2 mic inputs and an RCA aux input as well. The Numark CDMIX1 - Ive been using one for 2 years an it holds up fine...Id recomend the hardshell case they make for it tho.

heres a link

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/fg=102/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/800421/

p.s. Finally got a copy of "Soul Chicken" I love that track!!!

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Thanx for your suggestion, Jon.

But some reviews say that the Numark skips and doesn't work properly with CDRs.
    I also have to say that judging from my experience, I think Numark mixers are probably the flimsiest and most horrible sounding pieces out there so I don't really have much trust in this brand... doesn't anyone have first hand experience with a unit that works reliably with CDRs? Skipping is something that I'd want to avoid at all cost.

Maybe I should get dubplates after all but somehow I don't think it makes sense because I already have to digitalise the sound and burn it on CDR to send it away for the dub to be made and by then cutting it on a piece of plastic and reformating the soundfile to analog there definately will rather be a loss than a gain in quality... analog media only makes sense if the source material is also analog, I guess and I don't really feel like also investing in a reeel to reel tape machine.

• jonthedjjonthedj 30 Posts
    Ive been usuing that unit for over 2 years frank with CDR's...blue back CDR's at that. Sounds great... and im an audio snob. No skips ever too!!! A better Cd player isnt like getting better needles.... its just the signal to noise ratio really and in my experience the numark is fine. Id never own a Numark Dj Mixer either Frank...but Cd players are a diff. game. Dubplates dont sound nearly as good...and they wear out. Why not just be the DJ you are and take the viynl?