Blacksploitation movies -- which were the BEST?

faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
edited October 2006 in Strut Central
Beyond the value of providing Black actors with employment and portraying Black characters sticking it to the man, which ones actually stand up as films?To me, Superfly and The Spook Who Sat by the Door tower over everything else in the genre.

Comments

• I thought Coffy and Let's Do It Again were good

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Superfly
    Black Cesaer
    Space Is The Place
    Foxy Brown

I like Shaft but I find it kinda slow.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    Sweetback

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

See, that's what I'm talking about.

To me, Shaft, aside from providing a few iconic images--like Roundtree in his black leather outfit drinking espresso at Cafe Regio--is just not a good movie.

Sweetback

Again, while I recognize that movie's importance, I find it unwatchable.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Black Caesar
    Superfly
    Coffy
    Black Belt Jones (cmon, it's fuckin hilarious)
    Bucktown
    Foxy Brown

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

See, that's what I'm talking about.

To me, Shaft, aside from providing a few iconic images--like Roundtree in his black leather outfit drinking espresso at Cafe Regio--is just not a good movie.

My parents were all about Shaft. I heard the sdtrk all the time growing up. By the time I grew up and finally saw the movie, I wasnt blown away. Yeah, Parks shooting style kills alot of other movies but the pacing had me snoozy. Richard Roundtree is that cat, but his acting is not incredible.

I dont want to pit him vs Ron O'neal but Ron really holds the camera. That one scene when he's in his apt while Mayfield's THINK plays speaks volumes. That scene right there is the movie for me.

Back to Shaft, The rescue scene wasnt all that to me. But if iI was 15 years old when it dropped I would probably be w/ the rest of America.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Sweetback

Co-sign

Entertainment-wise, I dig

Cleopatra Jones
    Foxy Brown
    Coffy
    Truck Turner
    Super Fly
    Spook Who Sat By the Door
    Car Wash
    Black Caesar

Guilty Pleasures (movies that are fascinating but not really fun, per se, displaying questionable taste on many levels)

Candy Tangerine Man
    The Baron
    Darktown Strutters

really, Coffy and Foxy Brown kinda fit in here too...those films are pretty rough, but the Jack Hill/Pam Grier combo displayed enough style and craft to be that basely exploitative and still come across with the empowering heroine theme in tact.

• Beyond the value of providing Black actors with employment and portraying Black characters sticking it to the man, which ones actually stand up as films?

Last night I watched The French Connection, in which a
    white director provided Black NYC police officers with
    extra employment by casting them as the funky-junkie patrons of a
    bar in Uptown. Of course they are on the receiving end of all
    kinds of abuse by The Man (Gene Hackman).

Off-duty/moonlighting Black police officers: what relationship
    to The Man?

1. Also The Man
    2. Working for The Man
    3. Double-crossing The Man
    4. Getting worked over by The Man two-ways.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Sweetback

If I have ht echance, I like to grill the people that call Sweetback a good film. For the most part most of them can't say shit to defend their stance.

Sometimes those in the pack don't know where or why the herd is running

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    The Spook Who sat by the door is really good

Trick Baby is another favorite as is Willie Dynamite

in terms of Prototype Michael "everything must explode" Bay goodness I gotta say I also enjoy the shit out of Hell Up In Harlem and Black Caesar

in terms of Prototype Michael "everything must explode" Bay goodness I gotta say I also enjoy the shit out of Hell Up In Harlem and Black Caesar

People always discuss those two as a package, but I think Black Caesar is a vastly superior film to the sequel.

• The only blaxsploitation flic that i ever truly dug was "Across 110th st"

People always discuss those two as a package, but I think Black Caesar is a vastly superior film to the sequel.

According to Larry Cohen, the director/writer of both, Hell Up in Harlem was tossed together using cutting room scraps/set up shots from Black Caesar and a hastily thrown together 'script' and a quick shoot, due to the first film's huge popularity in urban theatres. In other words, a complete cash-in. However, the fact that even at his hackiest Larry Cohen's films have more heart and craft than most similar films of the era (not to mention the Hammer's presence), Hell Up in Harlem is still better than most(but can't touch the OG).

According to Larry Cohen, the director/writer of both, Hell Up in Harlem was tossed together using cutting room scraps/set up shots from Black Caesar and a hastily thrown together 'script' and a quick shoot, due to the first film's huge popularity in urban theatres. In other words, a complete cash-in.

Not to mention the fact that the main character actually dies at the end of the first film.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    Without getting into a debate about what is and is not a "blaxploitation" film ....these are the 10 movies i can and have watched over and over

Car Wash
    Let's do it again
    cooley high
    willie dynamite
    five on the black hand side
    cornbread earl
    superfly
    black cesar
    claudine
    truck turner

Cosby & Poitier are the best duo ever.........ever

Rudy Ray Moore movies are garbage

Sweetback & Shaft are terrible

Dobson > Grier

Thalmus Rasula,Calvin Lockhart,Glynn Turman,Lonette Mckee =

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    you obviously have not seen shaolin dolemite

i seriously need to step my blacksploitation game up so this thread is very much appreciated.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Without getting into a debate about what is and is not a "blaxploitation" film ....these are the 10 movies i can and have watched over and over

Car Wash
    Let's do it again
    cooley high
    willie dynamite
    cornbread earl
    superfly
    black cesar
    claudine
    truck turner

Cosby & Poitier are the best duo ever.........ever

Sweetback & Shaft are terrible

Dobson > Grier

Thalmus Rasula,Calvin Lockhart,Glynn Turman,Lonette Mckee =

You really like cornbread Earl and Me? That movie is only good on weed

cosign on Cosby and Poitier. you need to add uptown Saturday Night to your list.

Glynn Turman is sooooooo underrated it ain't even funny

I forgot about Cornbread Earl and Me. That shit is one hard hitting muhfucking movie.
    Cooley High is money in the bank too.
    This bathroom IS FOR LADIES!!! IT'S FOR LADIES, GET OUT!

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts

You really like cornbread Earl and Me?

i admit it has some dry moments ...but its a good watch ...especially when i was a kid

Glynn Turman is sooooooo underrated it ain't even funny

His acting makes J.D.'s Revenge watchable.

He's good on The WIRE, too.

You really like cornbread Earl and Me?

i admit it has some dry moments ...but its a good watch ...especially when i was a kid

No need to apologize--I like this one, too.

Love that movie, what a great cast! The barbershop scenes can be viewed as an obvious influence for what became the contemporary 'Barbershop' franchise.

• Jesus, Larry Cohen did a blaxploitation flick?! Did that guy take a stab at every genre?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Trick Baby

this came on cable late last night and I ended up watching it all the way through.

although I said I like this movie a lot seeing it again last night reminded me of just how much I like this picture.

highly recommended. Theres a great DVD transfer of it out for those of you with empty Netxflix spaces

Had to: