Wedding DJ Wonders

SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
edited October 2006 in Strut Central
I dj'd my 8th or 9th wedding last night. Its almost uncanny how the same cast of characters turn out every time.There's always always always someone (or three or four someones) who ask you to START playing "dance" music. Now, I've moved well beyond any intention of playing lesser known music at weddings because, apart from the raer family, it just doesn't work. So I'll be playing, say, "Bust a Move" and the dance floor is filled and someone will ask for dance music. And the person is usually 40 so they don't mean house. Last night I had the lady that asked for "old farmer" music to "get everyone dancing" while I'm playing, I think, "It Takes Two" and everyone was dancing.Then there is always the woman that wants to rifle through your stuff. "Let me see those records". This woman almost hit the needle on her way to grabbing my wedding party introduction list thinking it was a list of songs.What's tough about weddings is that you have to maintain your composure as everyone is family, etc. You can't go screaming at Aunt Marge.I have to bring copies of the DJs ARE EXPERT MIND READERS article to hand out next time.

Comments

• tell me baout it. i handled things at my best friends wedding 2 weeks ago. i had his 12 year old niece (with her pa) asking me to play "top 40", the brides mom asking me to play the entire white album, requests for czech records (they provided those) and then the brides sister and bride staged a takeover and played funcrusher double plus on anyone trying to dance. 8 hours behind tables, i was glad to get a break, but straight cacophony ensued. wedding dj = jukebox to most people, i guess. at least you got paid!