RIP James Chasse Jr

LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
edited October 2006 in Strut Central
I went to James Chasse's Jr's memorial service last night. http://www.zenorecords.com/jimjim/jim.htm I did not know him. Seems he helped to create the Portland punk scene, which lasted for about a year and a half before Cali influenced bands like Poison Idea and Napalm Beach took over. I know about 2 people who were part of that scene and talked to them last night.The whole thing was very very sad. James was murder by three police officers. He suffered from bipolar disorder, and had been living in downtown Portland for over 2 decades. Everyone at his memorial talked about his gentleness and kindness. Best I can tell he had never been arrested before his police beating.Anyway I just wanted to share.

Comments

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    This is one of many unnecessary police related deaths that have occured here in recent months. Somebody needs to come up with a more effective strategy for dealing with these kinds of situations.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    This is one of many unnecessary police related deaths that have occured here in recent months. Somebody needs to come up with a more effective strategy for dealing with these kinds of situations.

It is sad but true. Someone has come up with better strategies. Many police forces have implemented training for police to help them deescalate violent situation with the mentally ill. The programs work, we know they work, we just don't have the time, inclination or money to institue them.

Of course that has little to do with this case since James was not acting violently. Unlike other recent killings in the metro area this was in no way sucide by police.

I guess he was about 10 years older than you, so I am thinking you did not know him.

I thought with so many punk fans on soulstrut that I would get a response from fans of the Wipers, Neo Boys and Smegma. But maybe the Neo Boys are unknown outside of PDX.

I should have provided this link for anyone interested in the whole story.
    http://www.mentalhealthportland.org/