David Rodigan

DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,916 Posts
edited October 2006 in Strut Central

Comments

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Fucking serious. I've heard that Bounty dub before, but you should check out the Rodigan V Downbeat clash that happened in Brooklyn a few years ago. Some of the dubs that he drops are so next level.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,916 Posts
    Fucking serious. I've heard that Bounty dub before, but you should check out the Rodigan V Downbeat clash that happened in Brooklyn a few years ago. Some of the dubs that he drops are so next level.

I'd assumed that this clip was from the DVD of that soundclash that Labcabin has in stock at the moment. I guess not.

Rodigan's amazing, though - his commitment to reggae hasn't diminished one bit down the years. I love the way he goes off in that clip - he's been in the game for decades, yet he's still got the enthusiasm and energy of someone half his age.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

I'd assumed that this clip was from the DVD of that soundclash that Labcabin has in stock at the moment. I guess not.

Rodigan's amazing, though - his commitment to reggae hasn't diminished one bit down the years. I love the way he goes off in that clip - he's been in the game for decades, yet he's still got the enthusiasm and energy of someone half his age.

It might be, I only have the CD I have not seen the video.

• YES.

Seeing this dude live has been one of the highlights of my life.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    I remember listening to Rodigan on the radio in the UK YEARS ago when I was a kid. He's HUGELY respected in the UK (and I guess the world too). Kinda like the John Peel of reggae.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    I heard Rodigan has BOB MARLEY DUB PLATES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• I heard Rodigan has BOB MARLEY DUB PLATES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't think that's true. I've heard him tell a story about meeting Bob once--kind of in passing at Island Records' offices, IIRC--but never about him having dubs.

I have, however, heard tell that Kilimanjaro has a Marley dub. Don't know if it's true or not.

But regardless, Roddy has HUGE dubs from lots of departed artists. One of my favorites is some crazy-ass Horace Andy I heard him drop against Super Gold on a CD of a clash against them in Houston. In his typical fashion, he says, "Super Gold! You played a good one on the Bad Boy "Shine" riddim. But guess what? You don't know the ORIGINAL! NO OTHER SOUND IN THE WOOOOOORLD CAN PLAY THIS!"

Then he says something like, "Horace Andy, Studio One, 1967!" and you hear that bass line come in...they were done.

• Yes, big up Rodigan

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    "Super Gold! You played a good one on the Bad Boy "Shine" riddim. But guess what? You don't know the ORIGINAL! NO OTHER SOUND IN THE WOOOOOORLD CAN PLAY THIS!"

Then he says something like, "Horace Andy, Studio One, 1967!" and you hear that bass line come in...they were done.

Yeah, that pretty much sound about right in the Rodigan fashion. PEOPLE DEAD!

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    Saw him years ago in my hometown and he ripped it. I can confirm that he doesn't have marley dubs, but yes, he met him once in london. Davids whole persona and the way he keeps the energy up is really next level...everyone should see this, even if u don't like reggae...his dubs are legendary, noone can touch him (maybe some jamaicans, dunno)...while he was playing my town, some guy went on stage and stole a box of dubs from him...at some point, david realized and stopped the music and said something like: "this has never happened in my whole career. I am really mad and want the records back NOW. Or I will stop playing for tonight and will tell everyone what happened in this town!!" looking of course like someone just stole his records!!!
    Needless to say, the records were returned within minutes. Turned out that someone from the "entourage" of our local sound tried to escape with the box of dubs through the front door. They got him there and told him politely to return the stuff

WTF was that guy thinking anyway? You can't play them anywhere without being put on blast! It's like stealing art from the louvre. "Oh, but i can listen to them at home"...ha,

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Saw him years ago in my hometown and he ripped it. I can confirm that he doesn't have marley dubs, but yes, he met him once in london. Davids whole persona and the way he keeps the energy up is really next level...everyone should see this, even if u don't like reggae...his dubs are legendary, noone can touch him (maybe some jamaicans, dunno)...while he was playing my town, some guy went on stage and stole a box of dubs from him...at some point, david realized and stopped the music and said something like: "this has never happened in my whole career. I am really mad and want the records back NOW. Or I will stop playing for tonight and will tell everyone what happened in this town!!" looking of course like someone just stole his records!!!
    Needless to say, the records were returned within minutes. Turned out that someone from the "entourage" of our local sound tried to escape with the box of dubs through the front door. They got him there and told him politely to return the stuff

WTF was that guy thinking anyway? You can't play them anywhere without being put on blast! It's like stealing art from the louvre. "Oh, but i can listen to them at home"...ha,

Crazy story. What was that guy thinking indeed? What town was this?

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    Crazy story. What was that guy thinking indeed? What town was this?

City of Aachen, most western town in Germany. Next to the Dutch mountains. But all is well over here, Reggae is still strong over here and that dude knew he made a mistake big time! Infact, our sound called "Small Axe" has played in Brooklyn once with Bounty Killer. And yes, this guy who tried to get the dubs had to get on the DL for quite a bit. Banned for good!

• Another of the many Roddy clips I found on YouTube.

Something else I love about Rodigan: he's an old dude, but he's really up on new tunes and new artists. In that clip I posted above, he plays a special from Busy Signal. That's what's up.