record warping paranoia

parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
edited May 2005 in Strut Central
Well it's been hot as hell the last couple of days and I've been getting paranoid about my records. Basicly I live in the top floor of a brick building which is comparable to living in an oven for the next 3 or 4 months. My record room has a window that I always keep the blinds down so the heat doesn't beat in on the collection. Problem is my expedit is full at this point. In front of that I have about 5 stacks of raers/favorites/new arrivals. My question is, has anyone had any vinyl melt inside their place from the heat outside??

Comments

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    I have kept records in a garage that has a lot of heat fluctuations, along with another room that also gets warm during the summer. Most records held up, but over time, I noticed some of the thinner pressings and luckily non raers were slightly warped. This got to the records that were closest to a wall that had constant sunshine beating down on it, causing heat to spread. Also, certain shelves would yield more slight warps than others, which I'm guessing occured because heat gets trapped in a certain space. Heat rises, so shelving near the ground is usually pretty safe.

Since then I have moved most of the records worth anything away from these spaces.

My advice: keep the raers in a place where there will be no chance of heat damage.

Lately I've been getting paranoid by the ambient heat from the pilot light of the kitchen stove (I'm in an apartment), but I keep my records a good distance from the kitchen, so I'm not tripping (too much).

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    Keep the raers miles apart to stop them from warping each other

raers = heat

heat =

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,086 Posts
    I've been worrying about that too. Every summer out here when it gets to triple digit temperatures, I make sure the fan in my room is running to keep the air relatively cool, records out of direct sunlight and straighten any that are leaning in an angle. Yes, I am a tad bit obsessive compulsive.

• my records are always kept at a constant 75 degrees.

all bills paid bitches.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Put those shits in the freezer and quit'ure bitchin'...

ECAEP

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    You need to slow your roll douchebag. Just curious, how old are you anyway? 12?