The Grunt b/w Moanin'

m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
edited October 2006 in Strut Central
When I was a little kid, I would listen a lot to the radio, often with my mother. Sometimes, during the jazz programs, they'd put on this piano player who would utter these guttural sounds while he was playing, especially during his solos. I thought he sounded demented or like he was sitting on the toilet waiting for his bowels to move. I asked my mother who that was, and she told me it was Erroll Garner. I thought to myself: "This Garner guy must be a lunatic".Later I found out that making sounds when playing is just part of the M.O. of a musician who is .It started to make sense to me, and I started to appreciate some crazy solo sounds.Besides Mr. Misty, who are some of the great grunters, moaners, hummers or squealers? Post audio if possible. I love hearing this stuff.

Comments

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Often times drummers. I have recordings with John Bonham and Art Blakey both hootin' & hollerin' behind the kit.

• Thelonious Monk, Keith Jarrett, Mose Allison, Glenn Gould

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    I highly recommend seeing Swedish jazz trio EST live if you want
    A) High quality jazz
    B) High quality pianist moaning and singing along in the solos. It all depends on how it's mic'd of course, on some of the earlier recordings you can hear him faintly in the background, singing along off key during the solos. It's an acquired taste I guess. I haven't acquired it though...

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Can't do a thread about musical grunters without mentioning the Godfather of Grunt - Jimmy Smith. On his Verve albums you can hear him talking and scatting up a storm...

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts

i do similar shit when i get way into the drums

• wooshiewooshie 490 Posts
    I tend to use my breathing to help me count without really realising it, even tapping on the mpc I find myself making funny breathing sounds.

I do it a bit more when playing drums, just helps to loosen it out or something, I don't play as rigid if i make sounds with my mouth

• 6fran506fran50 266 Posts
    vibes and flute players often tend to do that too

• Charles Mingus was one talking motherfucker in the studio.

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts

took the Free Soul for a spin this afternoon, yeah

...............and a few moans shouts and squeeeals!

Hell, I've got old tapes of me playing harmonica, with the reverb turned up on the amp, and I'm getting so into it that you can hear an occasional low guttural hum ("mmmm") emanating from the speakers...wasn't my intent to do that, it just happened. (I believe I've heard Paul Butterfield do this as well...)

• The bass-payer in Phil Woods European Rythm Machine did some CRAZY sing-a-long stuff to his solos, like "dum dum dum"ing every single note, even when he's playing very very fast.

- J

Buddy Guy - "AAAAAGH!"

The Rotary Connection PARODIED Jimmy Smith's grunts on their song "Merry Prankster."

• Bud Powell especially on the Bud In Paris LP. He gets really into it, letting out these heavy gutteral sounds, which IMO really add to the charm of it. Great lp.

• The bass-payer in Phil Woods European Rythm Machine did some CRAZY sing-a-long stuff to his solos, like "dum dum dum"ing every single note, even when he's playing very very fast.

- J

Two bass players that played with Slim Gaillard, Bam Brown and Slam Stewart both specialized in vocalizing with the bass...

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Two bass players that played with Slim Gaillard, Bam Brown and Slam Stewart both specialized in vocalizing with the bass...

Major Holley too.

• Two bass players that played with Slim Gaillard, Bam Brown and Slam Stewart both specialized in vocalizing with the bass...

Major Holley too.

I knew I forgot someone. I actually saw Major Holley play back in the late 70's...