great track K, thanks

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    you didnt like bob before

beautiful music, thanks
    how was that released?

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    That was dope like cooked crack.

• el_sparkoel_sparko 884 Posts
    He's alright i guess... i prefer Madlib personally.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    spark it!

sparkdahate

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

beautiful music, thanks
    how was that released?

I know right! arent you a big reggae dude?

in parts of the world dude is basicly seen as a messiah type figure. His life, and his music, both pretty ill!

I can see how you would get sick of shit like "we be jammin" and all those annoying frat kids with copy's of legend and natural mystic.

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts

"do you like the rolling stones?"

"no, i like the beastie boys."

Anyone else feel that when listening to Madlib's beats on the Jaylib album, it was like listening to the kind of music Bob Marley spent his life trying to make but failed?

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    Well hey, I like pralines now.

Anyone else feel that when listening to Madlib's beats on the Jaylib album, it was like listening to the kind of music Bob Marley spent his life trying to make but failed?

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts

my review of this song:

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

Is it just me or is that track screaming for additional percussion?

[color:#666666]* Added to beat post source material wish list [/color]

• Options

beautiful music, thanks

how was that released?

Yeah, I did/do....just think his musical importance is overstated (some of you have ehard me rant before). Personally, Carlton and Aston "familyman" Barrett's bass/drum/rhythm contributions are just as important as Bob's singing/writing.

Because

K.

P.S. Tony, I have it on a JA blank (DSR matrix, which denotes a Dynamic studios recording (the largest recording studio in Jamaica at the time if I'm not mistaken)), but don't know for sure if it's from his Beverley's (likely not, those tracks were ska or R&B), Studio 1 (could be?), or Lee Perry (this is most likely the case as the bassline screams Barrett insomuch as the trade-off vocals tell of Perry's experimentation) period. I'll ask some cats around town and see if I can't find an answer.

• Options

How about post-Crusaders Joe Sample?

K.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

What about the next part of that song you posted: "In my own town..." That's when that jam gets really good. You cut it off.

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    Yeah the joy of bob marley (his voice, really) has been killed for me through years of high school & college preppies touting the joy of BOB but knowing fuck all about him. Like che, he was emblematic to these kids of something other than what he was particularly about.

At a party a week ago one of the ladies present said "soul? I mean reggae. Same thing really." (????) while booming some crapola best of hits. eesh.

anyhow. After years of staying away, I really like the early perry material with the wailers. "Soul revolution", etc.

The later more polished stuff I can do without. Especially LEGEND. Holy shit mang if I hear legend ever again it will be 2 lifetimes too early.

KL - do you know this 3LP set on timewind. german rip off label, but has all the early perry produced goodies. third LP is "soul revolution" but the other two are a mishmash... some 45 only tracks???

• It's really good.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

Is it just me or is that track screaming for additional percussion?

[color:#666666]* Added to beat post source material wish list [/color]

i see what you're saying, but I LOVE how this sounds, just like it is.
    Thanks man!

• PEKPEK 735 Posts

This is a legit query? Madlib NOT > Marley, pickney... Especially if you're using the relatively lackluster Jaylib album as reference - listen to dem Scratch-produced and supervised sessions ('Small Axe', etc.) and there's no comparison whatsoever (laughable to even suggest one) from this vantage point...

Double required, methinks...

• I totally agree. The Perry-produced sessions are the Marley I'm feeling the most... "Kaya", "Duppy Conquerer", et al. When the production got too slick, that's when the distinctive rawness of jamaican music got lost... but hey, he wouldn't have had such mass appeal if he hadn't taken that route...

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts

It's really good.

I have all three volumes of this series, very good stuff.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    "I Shot The Sheriff" is just classic, real funky and emotional. The clavinet during the vocal breakdown and the bass/drum ending gives me goosebumps no matter how many times I have heard it

This is a legit query? Madlib NOT > Marley, pickney... Especially if you're using the relatively lackluster Jaylib album as reference - listen to dem Scratch-produced and supervised sessions ('Small Axe', etc.) and there's no comparison whatsoever (laughable to even suggest one) from this vantage point...

Hmmm, yeah that's cool and all, but i won't be listening to any of these played out Marley tracks in 10 years, whereas "The Official" will still be getting played on the reg. Madlib is more talented, he can do rock, he can do rap, he can do dance, and on that blunted bomb shelter cd he did all those reggae songs which put Bob to shame. I'm not saying Marley is terrible, but if he could play more instruments and was better at sampling i might like him more, like someone said about that soundclip, he should have layered some nice drums over it. The Boz Scaggs New York drums would have fit real nice over it, i don't know why he didn't do it.

Soufriere - That Joe Sample record is heat! You poptarts don't know the meaning of a good sample for making beats with....

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    is this shit fucking for real

• PEKPEK 735 Posts

Hmmm, yeah that's cool and all, but i won't be listening to any of these played out Marley tracks in 10 years, whereas "The Official" will still be getting played on the reg. Madlib is more talented, he can do rock, he can do rap, he can do dance, and on that blunted bomb shelter cd he did all those reggae songs which put Bob to shame. I'm not saying Marley is terrible, but if he could play more instruments and was better at sampling i might like him more, like someone said about that soundclip, he should have layered some nice drums over it. The Boz Scaggs New York drums would have fit real nice over it, i don't know why he didn't do it.

Um, 'better at sampling': you serious? And if I'm not mistaken, that 'Blunted...' comp is just Madlib trawling the old Trojan (via Sanctuary) Records library... As for bein' 'played out,' most people don't know or have heard those Lee 'Scratch' Perry-produced sets - pre-Island/Chris Blackwell... I'm done replyin' 'cause this sounds like someone just playin' the fool (no offence intended)...

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    take that shit to the stonesthrow board man!

• This is a legit query? Madlib NOT > Marley, pickney... Especially if you're using the relatively lackluster Jaylib album as reference - listen to dem Scratch-produced and supervised sessions ('Small Axe', etc.) and there's no comparison whatsoever (laughable to even suggest one) from this vantage point...

Soufriere - That Joe Sample record is heat! You poptarts don't know the meaning of a good sample for making beats with....

This guy has to be making a joke for shock value's sake or some shit. I dont think anyone could straight up make such an out of touch statement (on a message board ran by serious music fiends) and be serious.