New MacBook Pros ... a day late

SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
edited October 2006 in Strut Central
So I plunked down for a MacBook Pro ... beautiful machine. However, I bought it yesterday. Then I read this morning, on the Apple site, that the next wave has been released ... as of today. More included RAM (1 gb instead of 512 mb), faster processors (2.16 gHz compared to 2), more L2 Cache (4MB compared to 2), faster Superdrives (dual-layer this time, as well), 40 gb more hard drive space ... all for the same price that I just paid.So I've just finished setting this thing up, I'm completely cherishing it, and now I'm looking at probably returning it (eating the 10% restocking fee) and getting a new one.If only Apple would hint at when the new ones are coming out ... I imagine that damages their marketing but I imagine anyone that bought a MacBook pro in the last week or two is pissed right now.I suppose I could have worse problems, and its just dumb luck.But ONE DAY.

Comments

• Sorry dude. Always check the mac rumor sites before making a purchase. The upgrade has been known about for a minute.

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    Indeed ... I read just about everything else I could but wasn't up on the Rumor sites. Advice I will follow in the future.

Though, all said, I'll basically end up paying $200 more (my 10% fee) for a thoroughly better machine. Could be worse ... I could've bought mine a month ago and not have been able to return it.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    http://www.macrumors.com
    you owe it to yourself to be informed on purchases like this =P

• Monday October 23, 2006 07:39 AM EST
    Posted by arn

Mac Rumors
    MacGadget.de (German) reports that MacBook Pro upgrades could take place as early as this week. Expected updates include Core 2 Duo upgrades as has long been expected as well as larger drives, FW800, and upgraded DVD drives.

Meanwhile, product checks indicate that several European hardware distributers "ran dry" of MacBook and MacBook Pro inventory several weeks ago.

Rumors of MacBook Pro upgrades have been ongoing for weeks. The last MacRumors.com reported rumor from MacGadget.de comes from an iBook update prediction in 2004. That rumor turned out to be true.

There it was yesterday.

Now it's rumored that the new MacBook will be out next week. I got mine a few months ago and it's gone in once to replace the heatsink. Other than that it runs like a pro but I'm hoping it fucks up again and they give me a new one.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    Indeed ... I read just about everything else I could but wasn't up on the Rumor sites. Advice I will follow in the future.

Though, all said, I'll basically end up paying $200 more (my 10% fee) for a thoroughly better machine. Could be worse ... I could've bought mine a month ago and not have been able to return it.

D'oh! Yeah, the $200 is probably worth the upgrade, chalk it up to bad timing.

Just ordered my new one today, thanks to the American Heart Association, it will help me in my battle against Heart Disease.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    Like I said in the other thread, I just got mine 2 weeks ago from my job. Tried to convince them to wait but the IT guy just wouldn't listen to a brother. S'alright though, this thing beats the pants off the Dell I used to work on.

• You think the same thing is about to happen with the regular Macbooks? I was just about to order one.

You think the same thing is about to happen with the regular Macbooks? I was just about to order one.

I would say yes, the rumor sites seem to think that Macbook updates should follow the Macbook Pro updates by a few weeks, they would probably want to get them out in time for the holiday consumer orgy. Might be a month or more, though.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    with any sort of electronics around this time of the year, i would wait until the end of november unless there's an incredible sale or you absolutely need the item right now.

• Cool, I can wait. I was literally about to sit down and order one right now.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    I believe Apple gives you 14 days to return the Mac, no questions asked. Return it, then get the new one.

• it would have also helped if you paid a little attention to the tech releases. intel announced the core2duo a few months ago so it was natural that it would have made it's way into an mbpro sooner or later.

if you dont care about the hardware improvements, check the refurb macs.. bunch of mbpro w/ the original coreduo for alot cheaper.

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    Just ordered my new one today, thanks to the American Heart Association, it will help me in my battle against Heart Disease.
    ???huh??? am i missing something? are you serious?

• I believe Apple gives you 14 days to return the Mac

YES YOU HAVE 14 DAYS TO RETURN THE MAC WHEN AN UPGRADED MODEL IS RELEASED!! (Yes, it was worth the caps) Believe me, I know, it's happened to me twice...just call Apple and they'll hook you up. Be glad you're within the 2 weeks.

Yes, despite the fact that many, many cpu cycles will be spent surfing record nerd web sites, the main purpose of the computer will be furthering my research on the fundamental mechanisms of myosin-actin contraction, the core reaction powering the function of the heart. The AHA fellowships fund many promising grad students and post docs (such as myself) who are the foot soldiers in the basic research that eventually leads to innovation in creating new therapies for diseases which kill hundreds of thousands of Americans every year, and millions worldwide.

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts

Yes, despite the fact that many, many cpu cycles will be spent surfing record nerd web sites, the main purpose of the computer will be furthering my research on the fundamental mechanisms of myosin-actin contraction, the core reaction powering the function of the heart. The AHA fellowships fund many promising grad students and post docs (such as myself) who are the foot soldiers in the basic research that eventually leads to innovation in creating new therapies for diseases which kill hundreds of thousands of Americans every year, and millions worldwide.
    Okay, so not your personal battle, but a good battle to wage nonetheless. I thought you were implying a personal condition. Which department are you in? Question: Does myocardial actin have the Ca2+ governed troponin-tropomyosin complex like skeletal muscle? Word.