starting the ebay slanging game

pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
edited October 2006 in Strut Central
I just got my internet back like a month ago and i want to get started selling some shit on the bay. Any pointers/advice you can give a lil ebay dude like myself. Things like shipping and grading knowledge would be appreciated. Also where some good ways to promote your auctions? craigslist, the soulstrut pay to play area? Please help a brotha out. I dont like dicking people and like to be as fair as possible. So i want to

Comments

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    i list the instruments and the musicians names. some people search for records with "fender rhodes","vibraphone", "mellotron", etc.
    i always try to describe the feeling of the record. and list the track names.

you should include an original picture of the record you are selling. sound clips can help.

i always include the shipping costs (fixed - within europe or germany and worldwide) and the payment methods i accept.

here's one of my descriptions (without trying to describe the feeling and sound of the record):[/b]

vinyl: NM
    cover: vg+

The instruments are Sax, Flute, Organ, Fender Rhodes, Moog, Guitar (Wah Wah ), Conga, Bongo, Drums, Bass. An incredible session. This record is very hard to find.

Tracks:

Mienteme
    Move On
    Altamira
    Pachanga En Sepia
    Super Star

El Reloj
    Jungle Walk
    To Be With You
    Te Esperare
    Calabaza Calabaza

a href="http://people.freenet.de/dustyouoff/pearlyqueen.mp3">Listen to the Pearly Queen LP/a

img src=http://people.freenet.de/dustyouoff/PearlyFront.JPG
    img src=http://people.freenet.de/dustyouoff/PearlyBack.JPG

Shipping costs: [/b]

Germany
    ??? 3,90 or ??? 6,90 for insured shipping

Europe (Airmail):
    ??? 6
    registered shipping: plus ??? 3

Worldwide (Airmail):
    up to 500g: ??? 12 (= 15.00 USD)
    registered shipping : plus ??? 3 (= 4 USD)

Payment:[/b]

I accept PayPal (no additional fee), Western Union Money Orders (the buyer has to pay ALL fees that occur), postal money orders (that are negotiable in Europe), cash in a registered letter and direct bank account wire transfers.

I will pack the records very well and send your package as soon as possible (usually 2 - 3 days after your payment). I only sell original pressings!

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Personally I find that putting up audio samples with your auctions goes a long way. People are obviously very reluctant to buy something they haven't heard, but when they can you can hook them because it sparks interest. There's a French dude who has audio samples of all his stuff and he sells records at prices way higher than most other folks.

Don't post your auctions on Craigslist, cause most people looking for records on CL are searching garage sales or people selling collections locally. eBay auctions just clutter stuff up.

Good luck man!

• Be as specific as possible 'bout your grading: post a scale that defines each possible grade at the bottom.

Take good pics

Specify you return policy (if you have one)

and how soon potential buyers need to pay.

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    sounds good. Yeah i would be more inclined to buy something with audio samples. Now about shipping. What is the best way to pack and ship a record? One of those protective envelopes?

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    What is the best way to pack and ship a record? One of those protective envelopes?

just put the record in a wall mart plastic bag. the paper ones could get wet. and don't forget to write the buyer's address on it. is it really that hard?

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    What is the best way to pack and ship a record? One of those protective envelopes?

just put the record in a wall mart plastic bag. the paper ones could get wet. and don't forget to write the buyer's address on it. is it really that hard?

oh shit... haha! who was the person here who did this? I forget...

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts

fuk that. imma just write the address on the jacket and put a stamp right on the cover. caveat emptor beeyotches.