You know what? That Jimi Tenor shit is cool too!

m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
edited October 2006 in Strut Central
Seeing that Nicole Willis gets well-deserved love here, I was wondering what people here think of her husband Jimi Tenor: I celebrate this dudes catalogue. When I first heard his stuff in the mid-nineties, I thought it was a bit too tongue-in-cheek, but slowly I began to appreciate his music, especially when he started working with larger orchestras. His nerdy singing voice is an acquired taste, and the everything-but-the-kitchen-sink approach of some of his albums can be a bit much, but there's no denying his musicality and sense of music history. He is a very skilled and versatile composer and arranger. One minute he'll do a eerie Bernard Hermann-style track with a symphony orchestra, the next minute it's a kitchy pop ballad, a blaxploitation chase theme, a big-band swinger or whatever. Pretty impressive.Two mp3 examples:"Sirens Of Salo""Nuclear Fusion"I've only got "Intervision", "Organism", "Out Of Nowhere" and "Beyond The Stars". What else is recommended? I like his jazzier stuff, and I heard an EP on S??hko that was pretty "out", but I hesitated to buy it. Anyone seen him live? He's supposed to be really good on stage.??

Comments

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I used to love dropping his version of Caravan into sets. If you bring it in at the right time it sounds rediculous.

Haven't really listened to him in many years.

• roistoroisto 879 Posts
    I used to love dropping his version of Caravan into sets. If you bring it in at the right time it sounds rediculous.

Haven't really listened to him in many years.

His forthcoming LP is produced by Didier (of Timmion fame), and it's by far the best stuff he's done in years. A couple of killers in there.

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    i had the pleasure of meeting the guy once, total bizarro world shit

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Haven't heard any of his stuff for years but used to love Out Of Nowhere.

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts

These records are brilliant! Is he involved in the new Nicole Willis record? Maybe I need to check it?

• This is my favorite Jimi tenor tune. Apparently he puts on a great live show.

• dayday 9,611 Posts

Um... holy shit.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    His forthcoming LP is produced by Didier (of Timmion fame), and it's by far the best stuff he's done in years. A couple of killers in there.

I need this when it drops....

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    "take me baby"

• roistoroisto 879 Posts

I need this when it drops....

Three snippets can be heard here (click on Jimi Tenor meets Kabu Kabu).