Beat Post

Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
edited October 2006 in Strut Central
Hey Y'all,I posted up some new joints on my soundclick page: Stacks's Soundclick page I just wanted your ears on some new material. Check the first 5 tracks in particular. Also, post some of your gems too. Let's get this started.Peace,Big Stacks from Kakalak

Comments

• Help Me - definitely dug. classicist without being cloying and obsessed with the obsession, y'know? very easy to listen to. props due, homie. the accordion line that comes in for the second verse is interesting as hell, would like to hear that theme explored further.

Black Girl - this is like if CL and Guru had changed places and instincts. dope money, the black girl singing on the hook is grand as all get out. the wahed filter applied to the main melody is a dope counterpoint to everything that's rolling around. somehow the track maintains a feeling urgency without any hihats to speak of, so props due on that.

Ghetto Noise - grown man hip-hop. brilliant. jesus, this is gutsy as hell, really committed to it's own specificity. the violin stabs bouncing off the back of the scattershot piano is marvelous. dope shit, i'd cop this jawn. dope cuts on the hook, even though the choice of source material is a bit played.

Pursuing Oblivion - christ. this is my favorite joint of the weekend. gotfuckingdamn. this is the sort of thing preem used to knock out weekly for about 18 months. absoutely fucking marvelous. well done, homie.

• here are 4 of my new joints: www.myspace.com/tayoisnt

Building Walls - leggy boombap. kinda cool chop, i think.

Extra Strength - trying to get my hi-tek on. sample source included to give perspective for those who appreciate such things.

Legend In My Own Mind - bombastic blahzay. very fun to rhyme to, may post the finished song soon.

Conclusions - Acoustic thing with my friend joy. was listening to it earlier, it really is awfully nice, i think. hope y'all dig it. no boom or bap, but a good hunk of easy to hear music.

thanks for listening, lemme know what y'all think.

deuces.

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    im really feeling that help me joint and pursuing obliv is real rugged. The beat is real tight.
    and tayoisnt extra strength is tight. Some good shit.

peep my shit at www.myspace.com/thelowendtheory

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Stacks is killing it! Ghetto Noise is

I just put up some new clips under "works in progress" - www.myspace.com/djday
    Some interludes, songs, ideas etc.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    here are 4 of my new joints: www.myspace.com/tayoisnt

Extra Strength - trying to get my hi-tek on. sample source included to give perspective for those who appreciate such things.

Legend In My Own Mind - bombastic blahzay. very fun to rhyme to, may post the finished song soon.

Conclusions - Acoustic thing with my friend joy. was listening to it earlier, it really is awfully nice, i think. hope y'all dig it. no boom or bap, but a good hunk of easy to hear music.

deuces.

Tayoisnt,

Thanks for the love and critique, mane!!! Your stuff really fits my sensibilities. I like melodic stuff with movement, which all of your tracks had. I especially like "Building Walls" and "Extra Strength" for they're musical, but have that chunky backbeat. You have a nice ear for sampling and arranging, and the drum programming complemented the music well. Oh yeah, I'm a Joni Mitchell fan, so I can feel the vibe of "Conclusions". I'm impressed by your stylistic range with that track (interesting departure there). I'd love to hear more!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• the realness - aww, it's ill when something completely major chorded out can be unapologetically hip-hop. c to a to g and back to the block. nice work, homie. knocks and bangs in all the right spots. wish the snare was a bit more assertive, though.

very early - dag. the main line is fucking lovely, but muddied up by the time stretch or debuzzing techniques you employed. if you could bring the hi's back into the equation, this shit could step beyond reproach. that saxline is gotdamn gorgeous, and the reversed section is surprising but completely appropriate. well done.

leaving - the kicks are kinda fighting with the bassline sample a bit, glitching into and around each other. outside of that, this shit is grand. sling it towards aloe blacc or ladybug or darien brockington and make one of those sanging songs that make people want to sang songs. marvelous, dude.

all in all, great shit.

• dag. for some reason, works in progress wouldn't load for me. have long since checked out the other business, which are all grand money. will check again later.

• here are 4 of my new joints: www.myspace.com/tayoisnt

deuces.

Tayoisnt,

Thanks for the love and critique, mane!!! Your stuff really fits my sensibilities. I like melodic stuff with movement, which all of your tracks had. I especially like "Building Walls" and "Extra Strength" for they're musical, but have that chunky backbeat. You have a nice ear for sampling and arranging, and the drum programming complemented the music well. Oh yeah, I'm a Joni Mitchell fan, so I can feel the vibe of "Conclusions". I'm impressed by your stylistic range with that track (interesting departure there). I'd love to hear more!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

thanks homie. appreciate the appreciation. i'll keep posting stuff periodically, and keep checking your stuff more often. you're dope as hell, dude. it's marvelous that a commitment to boombap makes so much sense 10 years after the aesthetic was supposedly perfected, y'know? props due.

thanks alot man for the feedback. Im still a little dude in the scheme of things, so feedback is im trying to step up my mixing game a little. Im going to school for audio engineering now so hopefully that will help me improve my mixes. These beats are a little older so maybe tonight i will post up some newer shit.

oh and day you got some heat. I got a track you did from a while ago and i still bump it in the whip.

dag. for some reason, works in progress wouldn't load for me. have long since checked out the other business, which are all grand money. will check again later.
    yeah myspace has been on some shit today. its only listing 3 songs also which is

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    the realness - aww, it's ill when something completely major chorded out can be unapologetically hip-hop. c to a to g and back to the block. nice work, homie. knocks and bangs in all the right spots. wish the snare was a bit more assertive, though.

very early - dag. the main line is fucking lovely, but muddied up by the time stretch or debuzzing techniques you employed. if you could bring the hi's back into the equation, this shit could step beyond reproach. that saxline is gotdamn gorgeous, and the reversed section is surprising but completely appropriate. well done.

leaving - the kicks are kinda fighting with the bassline sample a bit, glitching into and around each other. outside of that, this shit is grand. sling it towards aloe blacc or ladybug or darien brockington and make one of those sanging songs that make people want to sang songs. marvelous, dude.

all in all, great shit.

Hey Lowendtheory,

I like your musical ear as well, and I concur with Tay that "Very Early" is that joint of the one' I heard (only the 1st two played). The drums sound good with the music sampled and the arranging is tight!!! Nice work!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Stacks is killing it! Ghetto Noise is

I just put up some new clips under "works in progress" - www.myspace.com/djday
    Some interludes, songs, ideas etc.

Great stuff Day, especially "Gone Bad" I like your drums a lot, and you're arranging is on some post-modern Dust Brothers steeze (with more funk and swagger). You make some dope instrumental, driving-music type shit!!! I need a CD homie!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    This is a recent thing I did:

Hypersleep

Not a hiphop beat, more of a Tangerine Dream meets Dick Hyman on Ipanema beach type of whatever. I need to make it about a minute shorter and do some more work on it. I'm studying for exams now, so I don't have time for music until after the 1st . I need a break from this math crap, so I'm gonna listen a bit to people's stuff now. I like that Oblivion track too, Stacks.

• Stacks-- really good shit. I think I liked the first joint best. MC was nice too, I could hear the CL Smooth influence as well (obviously not a bad thing). I would consider buying this.

Tayo-- good stuff as usual. I wanted to say that I liked the second and the third tracks better than the first, but I re-listened to it, and it's really nice as well. Top notch in every respect. The snares have more "snap" than "thump" (I guess I prefer the latter), but that's clearly the sound you're going for. "Conclusions" is cool too. Check your PM.

Lowend-- I feel like I'm repeating myself, but good music all around. "Very Early" was my favorite, gotta agree with Tayo about the piano being a bit muddy, but it's still very good-- gotta love that sax. (I second the thing about the kicks on "Leaving").

Day-- unfortunately, I couldn't get your shit to play. (I've been feeling "Gone Bad" for a good minute though).

M_dejean-- I liked this, very nice vibe. The perfect track to balance out all the hip hop above.

Here is a track I recorded a couple of days ago. Beats and raps by me. It hasn't really been mixed (i.e. eq'd), so excuse any imperfections in that regard.

• Big Stacks and Tayoisnt - all those beats are very heavy. Especially Stacks' "persuing Oblivion" - that is raw as hell...

Low end Theory - i've been checking your myspace everynow and again for ages now - always got good beats on there.

here's my little dude beats page DJ One Trick Pony

feedback is greatly appreciated. it's all made on a 303 as it's all i could afford (plus i hate staring at computer screens) and triggered live while recording so it's fairly wonky. I didnt realise that Blackmoon had already used the loop in the "new Newness..." one but a mllion people have pointed it out so i will change it when ive done a new one.

• Good stuff people.
    Here's some older stuff I got laying around...

One

Stillbatic

• DJRELAXDJRELAX 452 Posts
    Asian Breeze
    http://www.djrelaxproductions.com/breeze%2030.mp3

a keyboard beat i made while fucked up on painkillers (it sounds like nothing I usually make its weird)
    http://www.djrelaxproductions.com/41%2030.mp3

• I got a few new beats up, please let me know what you think of them... i am working on mixing my instrumentals better
    my shit on the general is upbeat and catchy... i rarely ever use straight loops, but my shit is completely sample based, i chop that shit up and rock it

i am working on putting together a instrumental mixtape and soon after a vocal steezle with me rocking the linguistics as well

http://www.myspace.com/cahcropcriminals

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    Hey Y'all,

I posted up some new joints on my soundclick page: Stacks's Soundclick page I just wanted your ears on some new material. Check the first 5 tracks in particular. Also, post some of your gems too. Let's get this started.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Pursuing Oblivion =

good schitt you got cookin' there, hommie! Everyone else, too... much heat fo sho.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    wow all ya'll dudes goin off immma scxared to post this comercial shit
    stax/day/pauly gotdamm on dudes on fire

here is the sound of queens 2007 un masterd/unmixed raw 5 hour session one night from start to finish -a real old fashion demo
    DyRT
    aka BENNY WEBB VS Dianna Ross AND THE SUPREMES

The autobiographical
    http://evolverov.com/lovechild.mp3

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    stacks hi quality material man...

I respect your music and that MCs got it

especially like the first track

Day I need to hear this (damn myspace)...love the use of the feelin it graemlin (needs to be added)

Hey,

Thanks for the love, my knuckas!!!! I'm feeling the stuff I've heard from everyone. There's some serious cotdamn talent on this board. Where's the Soulstrut CD, Raj? That did get completed, right? I'd like to cop that! Keep posting, dudes (and dudettes). Any of our 'Strut fems make beats?

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

i listened to most of the beats on here and there is some real good shit. Im sorry i cant critiqe them right now, but ive been recording an orchestra for the last 6 hours so i gotta lay down for a lil bit. But much thanks to everyone who checked out my stuff.

• dayday 9,611 Posts

Like Rob-O said, "I ain't go no words."

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Ive had some luke warm reactions on this which is kinda pissing me off because i think this beat is the definiton of hard as fuck.

http://download.yousendit.com/3305411F47DF1C6E

shit thats the wrong link. heres the right one:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/csqxoi

Yo, you get a hot reaction from me on that one, dude. That's a good beat for a real schitt emcee to emcee over. I can hear one of those Wu-tang cats on that, like maybe the Gza. Those that are lukewarm about it probably need to hear more going on with it, like some little minor change ups and variations here and there- I can hear where somethings could be added, but still I think it's hot as it is (I love minimalist schitt anyway... a hot loop with no additives is still good enough for me!).

works in progress??? I am ready to buy that schitt right NOW!!!

• Hot Damn Day!!

• Day,

drop the damn album already!

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Day,

drop the damn album already!

Love the selfinstrumental intro , that beat is hot and hard, the moder piece is just sick classic day!!!!!(needed in my life) and the last part is sweet...

So polished, so crisp and focused ...godspeed day..godspeed..