Florida Funk

DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
edited October 2006 in Strut Central
Jazzman's latest comp looks a bit tasty: The Universals New Generation[/b] Pearly Queen Quit Jive'in[/b] James Knight And The Butlers Save Me[/b] Carrie Riley And The Fascinations Super Cool[/b] Oceanliners Cutting Room (Hot Pants)[/b] The Mighty Dogcatchers Its Gonna Be A Mess[/b] Bobby Williams And His Mar Kings All The Time[/b] Sam Baker Do Right Man[/b] Pearl Dowdell Good Things[/b] Delrays Pure Funk[/b] Little Beaver Everybody Has Some Dues To Pay[/b] Blowfly Butterfly Theme[/b] Wille Johnson Lay It On Me[/b] The Outlaw Gang Funky Fast Bump[/b] Luis Santi Y Su Conjunto Los Feligreses[/b] Coke Na Na[/b] Frankie Seay and The Soul Riders Soul Food[/b] The Third Guitar Baby Dont Cry[/b] Weston Prim And Blacklash Spider Web[/b] The Montereys Get Down[/b] Vanessa Kendricks 90% of Me is You[/b]Lavell Kamma (bonus) Soft Soul[/b]I remember that when Beaver posted a couple of these on an old 45s thread New Generation[/b] and Do Right Man[/b] had faces melting... I'll be snatching up a copy of this asap. Anybody know about the Mighty Dog Catchers? Sounds similar to a song pushing an advert on UK tv w/ the guy/puppet/animated dancers "only four steps involved"http://www.jazzmanrecords.co.uk/asp/comingsoon.asp soundclips!

Comments

• I'm fiendin' for a copy of this...Both the Midwest & Texas comps they put out were...

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    I'm fiendin' for a copy of this...Both the Midwest & Texas comps they put out were...
    True.
    Did he ever put out some garbage?

• I'm fiendin' for a copy of this...Both the Midwest & Texas comps they put out were...
    True.

Did he ever put out some garbage?

I wouldn't say garbage but I think some of his recent 7" choices were somewhat dubious...

• schoggischoggi 298 Posts
    worth alone for the massive "Little Beaver - Everybody Got Dues to Pay 1 & 2"

• looks like a fine comp. more and more i'm feeling that all 'tha hot schitt' is somehow associated w/ tk records and miami.

i.e. currently feeling:
    bobby byrd - 'back from the dead/the way to get down' (international bros)
    hokis pokis - 'nowhere/can't wait for love' (shield)
    both excellent 2-siders
    and also the little beaver track 'listen to my heartbeat' on cat

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    I'm a big fan of Little Beaver's "Joey" on Cat and I thought "Do Right Man" was by him as well - but it's credited to Sam Baker? Either way, great tracks.

• There's 2 versions, Little Beaver's being the original. I think the only criticism i can really offer on Gerald's latest is that they didnt use that one instead. The Sam is nice, but they could've just put on both.

a.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    There's 2 versions, Little Beaver's being the original. I think the only criticism i can really offer on Gerald's latest is that they didnt use that one instead. The Sam is nice, but they could've just put on both.

a.

The reason why Gerald didn't put a ton of Saadia tracks on this one is that he's issuing a separate comp for those tracks.

Anyone notice how the powerful scream in both Do Right Man tracks is the exact same? That, and the rhythm tracks seem to be similar. Probably the same bed.

Either way, study up:

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    There's 2 versions, Little Beaver's being the original. I think the only criticism i can really offer on Gerald's latest is that they didnt use that one instead. The Sam is nice, but they could've just put on both.

a.

The reason why Gerald didn't put a ton of Saadia tracks on this one is that he's issuing a separate comp for those tracks.

Anyone notice how the powerful scream in both Do Right Man tracks is the exact same? That, and the rhythm tracks seem to be similar. Probably the same bed.

Aahhh... I thought the realplayer sound quality was the only difference. Same scream alright, and I reckon that's Beaver's voice - he does an identical one on "Joey". Is this Saadia comp coming out on vinyl? Please-to-fuck be so. Last time I checked on Fryer's forum it sounded like a CD only job, but that was a while ago.

• the saadia comp should be ready for christmas also a 7" triple pack....

• the saadia comp should be ready for christmas also a 7" triple pack....

YES!

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts
    dont forget soul jazz also released a comp o miami funk/soul. although i still will prolly cop that jazzman comp as well.

Various Artists

Miami Sound

(Soul Jazz Records)

Tracklisting
    1. All The People - Cramp Your Style
    2. Helene Smith - You Got To Be A Man
    3. George Mccrae - I Get Lifted
    4. James Knight And The Butlers - Funky Cat
    5. Gwen Mccrae - 90% Of Me Is You
    6. Little Beaver - Funkadelic Sound
    7. James Knight And The Butlers - Save Me
    8. Joey Gilmore - Do It To Me One More Time
    9. Helene Smith - A Woman Will Do Wrong
    10. James Knight And The Butlers - Fantasy World
    11. Timmy Thomas - Funky Me
    12. The New Clarence Reid - Cadillac Annie
    13. Frank Williams & The Rocketeers - The Spanish Flyer
    14. Della Humphrey - Don't Make The Good Girls Go Bad
    15. Frank Williams & The Rocketeers - You Got To Be A Man
    16. Joey Gilmore - Somebody Done Took My Baby
    17. Little Beaver - I Love The Way You Love

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    And:

??
    1. Am I A Good Man - Them Two
    2. Someone To Fulfill My Needs - Moovers
    3. I Am Controlled By Your Love - Helene Smith
    4. I Don't Need Help - Johnny K. Killens & The Dynamites
    5. Stay Away From My Johnny - Freda Gray & The Rocketeers
    6. Thrills And Chills - Helene Smith
    7. Paralyzed - Betty Wright
    8. I Love You Baby - Moovers
    9. Pain In My Heart - Helene Smith
    10. The Upset - Paul Kelly
    11. One Little Dance - Moovers
    12. Good Lovin' - Betty Wright
    13. Willing And Able - Helene Smith
    14. It's My Baby - Paul Kelly
    15. You Got To Do Your Share - Helene Smith
    16. Good Thing Part 1 - Frank Williams & The Rocketeers
    17. Darling I'll Go - Moovers

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    the saadia comp should be ready for christmas also a 7" triple pack....

Thank You!

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    Florida gets its own comp, and all the Beer Belt gets is 'Midwest Funk'? *shakes fist*

Frankly, I'm impressed you were able to assemble such a solid product w/out including some of the other Florida rarities (La Mars, Jimmy Bo Horne (Dig), Dolly Gimore, C.Reid 'Miss Hot Stuff', Vise, the Brownstone stuff, etc.).

Will definitely be picking this up.

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    And:

2. Someone To Fulfill My Needs - Moovers
    3. I Am Controlled By Your Love - Helene Smith
    4. I Don't Need Help - Johnny K. Killens & The Dynamites
    5. Stay Away From My Johnny - Freda Gray & The Rocketeers
    6. Thrills And Chills - Helene Smith
    7. Paralyzed - Betty Wright
    8. I Love You Baby - Moovers
    9. Pain In My Heart - Helene Smith
    10. The Upset - Paul Kelly
    11. One Little Dance - Moovers
    12. Good Lovin' - Betty Wright
    13. Willing And Able - Helene Smith
    14. It's My Baby - Paul Kelly
    15. You Got To Do Your Share - Helene Smith
    16. Good Thing Part 1 - Frank Williams & The Rocketeers
    17. Darling I'll Go - Moovers

pardon my inability to reverse engineer that amazon.com image, but what is that comp called? i cant make out the cover.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    And:

pardon my inability to reverse engineer that amazon.com image, but what is that comp called? i cant make out the cover.

Eccentric Soul -The Deep City Label on Numero