So Tell ME All About Some Polish Funk Gawumpkies

kalakala 3,361 Posts
edited October 2006 in Strut Central
seriouslythis is such a vast categoryi mean i am up on the novi singers ,string beat and jerzy but there is tons morehow did the poles get so damm funky?weren't they on some iron curtain curtail thru the whole butta era?some russian and czech shit too ....huhwho has this category of eatern euro funk/psych/ost/beats on lockdown....delay right?

Comments

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    weren't they on some iron curtain curtail thru the whole butta era?

musically they kind of got away with it. let's not forget that these countries (especially poland and czech republic) had and still have a thriving live scene when it comes to jazz and rock. and as always, you have alot of stuff that is not funky per se. e.g. marie rottrova is not funky, but some of her tracks sure as hell are. and again, music and sex were two things that could be enjoyed alot more behind the "iron curtain", as there was not so much else to do, due to planned economy and the political environment. that statement might be a bit stretched, but there is a reason that the "freik??rperkultur" (free body culture) was really strong in the east (at least in east Germany)

but I digress...back to ze r??kotz...

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

who has this category of eatern euro funk/psych/ost/beats on lockdown....delay right?

what about the europeans?

you need ask a proper question though!

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    who has this category of eatern euro funk/psych/ost/beats on lockdown....delay right?
    hardly. i have a lot, but talk to dave legend in bmore...that dude has some shit.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    There's a lot of good Polish psych/funk/garage type ish, let's see how my spelling goes...

Halina Fracowiak (killer!)
    Cwervone Gitary (mostly garage)
    Breakout (good breaks)
    Grupa ABC (good breaks)
    Grupa SBB (heavy psych)
    Arp Life (library sound, good breaks)

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

it's a bad record. easy listening with a drum break.

it's a bad record. easy listening with a drum break.

Bu Bu is good... other than that, I would agree with you.

• Grupa ABC (good breaks)

cosine, but I have to add that this album is killer all the way through and in every aspect bad ass, much more than just breaks. Top fuggin shelf.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts

Grupa ABC (good breaks)

cosine, but I have to add that this album is killer all the way through and in every aspect bad ass, much more than just breaks. Top fuggin shelf.

yes drop more know ledge pleasew

yes drop more know ledge pleasew

here is an 80s reissue of the LP, which is much cheaper than the original pressing and actually sounds better than the original(most original muza and pronit vinyl scratches very easily for some reason)...

Grupa ABC (good breaks)

True, true... so you're saying I should pick up the 80's reissue for better sound? That would be the first time I'd buy a reissue when I already have an OG

True, true... so you're saying I should pick up the 80's reissue for better sound? That would be the first time I'd buy a reissue when I already have an OG

well, I havent been fortunate enough to find a minty OG. When I was in Krakow, I had the choice of the OG for what came out to be $20 US that had the sizzle...the reissue was a $1 US and it sounded a bazillion times better than the OG. The other (few mind you) other copies of OGs I have enountered had the sizzle as well.

(most original muza and pronit vinyl scratches very easily for some reason)...
    And for the 60's albums, don't pour water over the labels or the paint comes off..
    I found about 3 nice Russian disco funk tunes, some Estonian (worth mentioning in particular). There's just 60's 45 and 10'' jazz from Poland that's not been yet rediscovered. Most funky records were pressed outside the country perhaps. Outisde the Polskie Nagranie state company there wasn't any other means of publishing records. Same for the Melodiya ones in Russia. If you want anything really interesting, you should try taped (live) music. Same case as for instance in middle eastern countries or Nigeria. Just a guess, but I'm rather familiar with Polish immigrants and speak a mouthful of polish myself, which didn't result in many new finds.

• roistoroisto 879 Posts
    IMO the best Polish stuff are the "non-funky" 1960's jazz LP's, like Komeda's "Astigmatic", Kurylewicz's "Go Right" and the Polish Jazz Quartet LP.