I'm excited about playing out

KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
edited October 2006 in Strut Central
It's been a minute since I've been booked at a nice venue to play music I like.Tomorrow Night I get to play funk raers at a really nice cozy venue in Sydney, and I have to say I am freakin' amped.Who else gets excited about DJing at a place that promises not to have requests such as "can you play something by Nelly?"

Comments

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts

Who else gets excited about DJing at a place that promises not to have any requests

• mattBmattB (FTB) Anywhere 673 Posts
    cool...where in Sydney?

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Yeah I know what you mean. I am excited about tonight. My girl & I are putting our first night on playing stuff that we want to. Not that I usually DJ places that request Nelly, but I do get a kick out of sharing my 45s with people. Hopefully the response will be cool & we can make it a semi-regular thing. Will be fun. Hope your one goes well too.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Tonic Lounge @ Kings Cross

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts

Who else gets excited about DJing at a place that promises not to have requests such as "can you play something by Nelly?"

That sounds like my night in Montreal. I never had any requests at all and I could play whatever I wanted. Of course, this was because no one ever came...

Who else gets excited about DJing at a place that promises not to have requests such as "can you play something by Nelly?"

That sounds like my night in Montreal. I never had any requests at all and I could play whatever I wanted. Of course, this was because no one ever came...

Oh damn... yeah this isn't my night. It's actually pretty established and has quite a solid regular crowd, which is quite an achievement for Sydney!

I have to keep it dancefloor so It's not free reign, but there's no holding back on the raers.

I'm gonna post a full setlist after I've done it.

• Oh damn... yeah this isn't my night. It's actually pretty established and has quite a solid regular crowd, which is quite an achievement for Sydney!

I have to keep it dancefloor so It's not free reign, but there's no holding back on the raers.

I'm gonna post a full setlist after I've done it.

Sounds like a decent night you've scored there! Good luck and hope it all goes well.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Sexy Back?

This woman would not even make it in the club.

They would screen her for any wack iPod playlists and kick her skanky ass to the curb.

That's how we do in Sydney

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,785 Posts
    My favourite gig is a monthly at my friends bar. I play a three and a half to four hour set that lets me go through every genre of music I collect. Usually start off with some mellow trip hop/instrumental Blazing DownTempo, work into reggae and dub, a few jungle tracks, drop some funk, freakbeat or whatever. It's great to see the combination of music and alcohol working together; people always ask after songs they like, I never get any complaints and the only requests I've had were along the lines of "more of this playing right now please" and a booking.
    My other regular gig is better paid but working a dancefloor full of drunken townies making annoying requests for house, Christina Aguilera and directions to the toilets. I'll try to play a mixture of modern stuff early doors that I think will keep the majority happy, but at the right moment I'll play some James Brown, the girls start dancing and all those pricks asking for house/Hollaback Girl/Lilly Allen see the truth. Idoits and folls just don't seem to know what good music sounds like and wouldn't have asked for funk but will happily dance their arses off to it.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts

Who else gets excited about DJing at a place that promises not to have any requests

I DJ at Ministry of Sound in Taipei. I don't get requests. **But** managment have pulled me up for playing hip-hop music that is "slow" and is not "noisy". So welcome to Fatman Scoop and 108+ bpm shit. Anything fast will get these "hip-POP" robots to dance. I'm fine now, got it locked down, next month they are opening a "funk / underground hip-hop" room... we'll see how that goes.

I saw Jay-Z tonight with Memphis Bleek. It was ok.

peace.