Faux-Rillz was right.

HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
edited October 2006 in Strut Central
I've noticed lately that when it comes to rap, I am in somewhat of an isolated zone down here in Texas. After listening to so much Z-Ro, Trae, Chalie Boy, Ryno, VIP, Basswood Lane, Nac, Gerald G, etc. I simply can't bring myself to listen to anyone that isn't rapping in some sort of rhythmically coded manner. I still maintain that much of what I like about Texas rappers is that they do many of the same things that Project Blowed rappers like PEACE, Ellay Khule, Ngafsh, da Badstads, etc. have done in the past. I mean, please do go ahead and cram as many words as possible into a line, just as long as you can do it with a consistent and notable style. Twista and Brotha Lynch Hung definitely come to mind as I say that. I'm also thinking of something that I just saw that Bun B was saying in an interview about how when he does a cameo verse that he first listens to the other verses already laid down by other rappers and then decides how much he basically needs to come with it on the intricately complex tip. Somebody link that quote for me if you can recall where I might have seen it. Anyway, I've been noticing lately that as I listen to albums by artists that I have even previously liked, for instance a Motion Man or an OH NO, that I'm now absolutely incapable of stomaching anybody with a weak, remedial flow. Some of that has to do with certain artists being stuck in what should now be considered as untimely retro ruts. And some of it also has to do with way too many so-called rappers still thinking that cadences that they originally picked up from nursery rhymes are still acceptable as rap fodder. I mean, it's one thing to do it on purpose like a Chain Hang Low. But to hear someone like Puffy who is rhyming serious, but his most ambitious melodic tendency is to ultimately remind you of Ring Around the Rosie or some shit...get the fuck out of here!!! Anyway, get on our level...And yes, Lil Flip and Mike Jones are like our Eazy E's to our Ice Cube's and Ren's...so go ahead and save your banter[/b].

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    rhythmically coded

bantor

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I ain't a lawyer, I just object a lot.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Anyway, I've been noticing lately that as I listen to albums by artists that I have even previously liked, for instance a Motion Man or an OH NO, that I'm now absolutely incapable of stomaching anybody with a weak, remedial flow.

No mo mo like flows on?

Anyway, I've been noticing lately that as I listen to albums by artists that I have even previously liked, for instance a Motion Man or an OH NO, that I'm now absolutely incapable of stomaching anybody with a weak, remedial flow.

No mo mo like flows on?

Save your banteur, son.

No mo mo like flows on?

Man, I especially loved the stuff he did as Noggin Nodders for the Wake Up Show. I even liked his last solo album...quite a bit. But for whatever reason I can't even begin to get into his new album. And unfortunately I'm far from alone with that sentiment. Mo did a show here last weekend with Del and Mike Relm and anybody that I've asked about Motion Man has told me that he was straight up WACK.

No mo mo like flows on?

Man, I especially loved the stuff he did as Noggin Nodders for the Wake Up Show. I even liked his last solo album...quite a bit. But for whatever reason I can't even begin to get into his new album. And unfortunately I'm far from alone with that sentiment.[/b] Mo did a show here last weekend with Del and Mike Relm and anybody that I've asked about Motion Man has told me that he was straight up WACK.

What a shocking development!

Save your bantamweight.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    What about content?

What about content?

As far as I'm concerned, struggling to survive in a hostile world is the only[/b] content.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    What about content?

As far as I'm concerned, struggling to survive in a hostile world is the only[/b] content.
    And yet you claim to care about Black people.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    What about content?

Perhaps you might enjoy Rachmaninoff. i would suggest the 2nd and 3rd piano concertos to start off with.

What about content?

And yet you claim to care about Black people.

Anything beyond momentary escapism is only good for hippies with trust funds.

Not all of us can expect a miracle[/b].

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    You consider struggling against a hostile world to be 'escapism'? For you, perhaps.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    Man, I especially loved the stuff he did as Noggin Nodders for the Wake Up Show. I even liked his last solo album...quite a bit. But for whatever reason I can't even begin to get into his new album. And unfortunately I'm far from alone with that sentiment. Mo did a show here last weekend with Del and Mike Relm and anybody that I've asked about Motion Man has told me that he was straight up WACK.

you carpetbagguers are always so quick to drop an artist as soon as he no longer fits your hipster agenda[/b].

You consider struggling against a hostile world to be 'escapism'? For you, perhaps.

RIF

you carpetbagguers are always so quick to drop an artist as soon as he no longer fits your hipster agenda[/b].

I still recommended the show in the paper. I would again tomorrow as well.

• Is this thread about rap, or Harvey?

Is this thread about rap, or Harvey?

Is there some question as to which one is the more complicated and engaging topic?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    What the fuck are ANY of you even TALKING about? It's like you just like to listen to yourselves type. It's MADDENING!!!!

• Um, sorry?

What the fuck are ANY of you even TALKING about? It's like you just like to listen to yourselves type. It's MADDENING!!!!

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    AAARRRRGGGHHHH!!!!!!!

AAARRRRGGGHHHH!!!!!!!

Not enough words per line. Try again.

• Man, I love to listen to myself type. My ten tin soldiers line-dancing
    like pros across this clattery plastic dancefloor on a mild incline.

This keyboard is my djembe, my bongo head, and my coworkers in the
    adjoining cubicles are the whirling dervishes - they also like to listen
    to my typing as well. Every time my thumb hits the spacebar it's like
    the weekly commercial garbage truck has just set the empty dumpster down.
    It's fucking definitive. BOOM.

That's right Jimmy, click clack clatter, the blank space is erased as
    I create matter. But laws of equilibrium maintain that nothing is ever
    truly created or lost, so for each blank space I erase by filling,
    something else inside me has now become blank. This is a law in the universe.
    Two strangers looking at a girl's ass collide in a movie theater lobby, and
    now popcorn is flying everywhere. Her ass looked like a ceramic peach covered
    in a magician's silk.

Back to the flow-zone:

I contend that the Young Joc "It's Goin Down" flow would not exist without
    J-Kwon's "Tipsy", and loath as I am to crown the one J-Kwon with anything,
    I really think the Tipsy Flow[/b] has become a force of nature with which
    we must all reckon, just as we must with Jay-Z's Incredulous Whispering Flow.

If in the end, it's determined that HERE I AM[/b] is all that I've really said...then so be it.

Accordingly, I appreciate rappers who realize that that's all they're ever going to say as well.

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    Very much with you on the nursery rhyme peeve, it's always kind of made me laugh when rappers who come so hard will also be the first ones to actually quote nursery rhymes, which is completely absurd. However, as your example of non-Texas rappers you don't like you choose Puffy? Kind of shooting free throws at a really big hoop, no?

• Anyway, I've been noticing lately that as I listen to albums by artists that I have even previously liked, for instance a Motion Man or an OH NO,

why did you ever like Oh No?

And yes, Lil Flip and Mike Jones are like our Eazy E's to our Ice Cube's and Ren's...so go ahead and save your banter[/b].

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I miss the days where I was able to get stoned, jump on my computer, and read the musings of the boards realest soldeur.

having an office job can suck sometimes

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i like rap

I can liken it to the way that the Hiero crew was always on their own jocks about their own freestyling abilities. I simply never understood that. And that's coming from someone who liked all of their early albums...a lot. The reason why I couldn't agree with them that they were good freestylers is that I had previously heard so many different other freestylers actually adding some style to their improvised raps. With Hiero it was always merely some simple, cat-in-the-hat shit and that's it. Granted at times Opio was prone to go off in more than just a rudimentary way, but still it didn't add up to the way that a PEACE or Mikah 9 would be all over the map (in a good way) with their freestyles.

What I suspect Hiero was genuinely proud of was the fact that they could pull off a freestyle, most times, without falling off beat. OK, that might get your foot in the door, but now that you're here show me something that I haven't heard a million times before from kindergarten teachers, commercial jingles, etc. Give me something that not only sounds good melodically but makes me have to challenge myself to hear the full brunt of. In other words, code your cadences with a style of speech that an MC Pat Boone couldn't pull of if he tried.

At least, that is my preference.