Black Flag loves Trouble Funk

peacefulrotationpeacefulrotation 3,481 Posts
edited October 2006 in Strut Central
Among some other auctions, I sold a Trouble Funk "Spin Time" 45 on ebay the other day... the lucky bidder was a dude who is known for his vocals on this record:

Comments

• Right on, J!

My homie in Austin was in the Big Boys waaaaay back when and has a dope old showbill from around 1982:

Big Boys
    Minor Threat
    Trouble Funk

The first time I saw it, I remarked that it was a pretty incredible poster. He said, "Aw, that's nothin'. You shoulda seen the misprinted ones that said "Minor Treat." Ha!

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    cool.

• haha!

I was looking through some rackords today at the shop by my house and ran into a bunch of Korean pressings of US soul lp's. There was a Blue Magic one which I almost bought just because it misread: "Includes the hit: Side SNOW[/b]".

• Henry Rollins grew up in DC. I'd have thought he'd already have the entire Trouble Funk discography by now.

• Hey, don't hate on a cat for tryin' to get his go-go 45 weight up for the Jukebox...

• Big Boys

My step-pops used to have a video of the Big Boys playing live...I remember liking them quite a bit (this was probably '85-'86). Haven't heard that stuff in ages, got any old TAPPS to dubb?

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I've got a comp of early Trouble Funk singles on Hank Rollins' CD reissue label from the 90s... he GOES OFF in the liners about how huge they were to him and about how all the DC punk guys would go to their shows

I'm surprised he would be lacking any of their stuff too, but then again I'm on the east coast and don't know the 45 of which you speak

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Mr. Rollins was also spotted buying early DJ Screw tapes off the 'bay I believe. Nick Catchdubs reported on this a while back.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Rollins lights straightXedge blunts with hundred dollar bills.

• wooshiewooshie 490 Posts
    Apparently, Bad Brains were staying at some dudes house from Big Boys once or something. to their horror, discovered the lead singer of Bad Brains was gay and freaked out - tore the place up

Irrelevant story, but my friend was telling this to me last night

• pknypkny 549 Posts
    Apparently, Bad Brains were staying at some dudes house from Big Boys once or something. to their horror, discovered the lead singer of Bad Brains was gay and freaked out - tore the place up

Nah, you got it backwards, HR found out one of the Big Boys was gay, and flipped. Full story in in this book:

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    "They" also like free jazz.

Guy from Fugazi, Rites of Spring bought my Church Organ FMP record. Jim O'Rourke (not DC, but) paid a lot of money for a Bill Dixon record off eBay from me.

• Apparently, Bad Brains were staying at some dudes house from Big Boys once or something. to their horror, discovered the lead singer of Bad Brains was gay and freaked out - tore the place up

Nah, you got it backwards, HR found out one of the Big Boys was gay, and flipped. Full story in in this book:

The version I heard from my friend (the host) was slightly different (read: nobody "tore the place up"). Suffice it to say, it's a very fucked up story that damn near ruined Bad Brains for me. But you know what they say: love the art, not the artist.

BACK ON TRACK: P.Ro, have you been added to H.Ro's "Favorite eBay Sellers" list yet?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Henry Rollins has a radio show here in LA that airs on 103.1 he plays a really eclectic mix of music which includes Nina simone, Horace Silver, Bad Brains, Field recordings and a heavy dose of Go-Go.

I think it can be streamed online but I don't have the info on all that.

• Rollins' "Harmony in my Head" rivals "Whitey On the Moon" as best radio show of the past 50 years.

• Rollins has been in my shop twice and the guy has WIDE taste in music. He came close to buying a John Cale box set I had but decided that he already had most of the tracks on it. Then, when a friend (from another legendary DC hardcore band) didn't have enough money to buy a record Rollins bought it for him and did not ask for (or expect) a discount. Talked to him for a while about his show and the battles he has with the suits over who gets on. Really nice guy. Respect.

• I've got a comp of early Trouble Funk singles on Hank Rollins' CD reissue label from the 90s... he GOES OFF in the liners about how huge they were to him and about how all the DC punk guys would go to their shows

I'm surprised he would be lacking any of their stuff too, but then again I'm on the east coast and don't know the 45 of which you speak

Yeah, check out the recent reprint of Schism zine for an interesting interview with Dag Nasty where Brian Baker references the Go Go scene.

As far as the Big Boys goes, Randy Turner, who unfortunately passed just recently, was really into soul and funk. Another little interesting piece: I think on the Scratch DVD when Bambatta is being interviewed, the film cuts to some pictures of old fliers. I believe one is for a show with Soulsonic Force and The Big Boys.

As far as the Bad Brains shit goes, it's always interesting to me when I hear Babd Brains fans who aren't necessarily into hardcore who don't know that the Bad Brains homphobia issue was and is REALLY REALLY significant. One of my favorite bands, but the fire and brimstone idiocy they tried, unsuccessfully, to introduce to the punk scene was one of their least endearing traits.

Anyone catch the American Hardcore film yet? I know there was talk a few months back. The book is ehhhhhhhh.

• wooshiewooshie 490 Posts
    Yeah shit, I was wasted.

I meant to say that they found out the lead singer of big boys were gay, not that HR was gay. whoops.

Yeah, My house mate has that american hardcore book, I've only read part of it. Looking forward to the movie.

• Right on, J!

My homie in Austin was in the Big Boys waaaaay back when and has a dope old showbill from around 1982:

Big Boys
    Minor Threat
    Trouble Funk

The first time I saw it, I remarked that it was a pretty incredible poster. He said, "Aw, that's nothin'. You shoulda seen the misprinted ones that said "Minor Treat." Ha!

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    Looking forward to the movie.

im going tomorrow