George Duke vs Joe Sample

jazzman21jazzman21 287 Posts
edited October 2006 in Strut Central
vs Who you got? I'm on the fence.

Comments

• joe sample-the rhodes solo on "el dorado" by blue mitchell is hard as fuck but then again george did some pretty amazing stuff with cannonball and zappa. the whole "faces in reflection" album is actually more consistent than anything joe sample ever released so i will give it to george.

but let's not forget that each man is resposible for his share of drek..

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    but let's not forget that each man is resposible for his share a massive pile of drek..

really lots of tepidness under the Joe sample George Duke discography.

I give the title of better artist to Duke for his 1969 Liberty release which is actually funky and not fusion vomit

• I have yet to see Joe Sample release a Brazilian Love Affair....simply butter!

• MorseCodeMorseCode 1,516 Posts

Damn never heard that one, but trying to. Soundclip por favor?

I just got this

which, among many other nuggets from his discography would lead me to say GEORGE DUKE ALL DAY, I mean there is no question. Sample has far more tepidness, with some scarce gems in there.

And stop the fusion hate people! Yeah there's a lotta crap but there's a lotta goodness too, especially if you re-edit out the overly-indulgent noodling.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    GEORGE DUKE ALL DAY, there is no question.

Yes, definitely. And I wouldn't say "Save The Country" is his finest hour. It's decent, but not on the level of those early 70s MPS albums like "The Inner Source" or "Feel". And his sideman duties for Cannonball and Zappa was waaay more interesting than the usually pretty non-descript playing of Joe Sample. I got a little love for Joe and The (Jazz) Crusaders, but really, there is no competition here. Even Duke's later (and admittedly slicker stuff) kicks his Carmel ass.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Duke.

• Duke via Zappa.