Define - "psych moves"

DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
edited October 2006 in Strut Central
Finally made it to the Arbutus (Baltimore) Record Show today. A few strutters in attendance as well as some shower-deprived, loud-voiced, sharp-elbowed dealer types. Some bargains and some pricey raers. I was looking at one sealed 60's record that I wasn't familiar with and asked the guy what it sounded like and he said it was "pop with some psych moves." I've seen this expression written a million times but this was the first time I'd actually heard it spoken out loud. Please define "psych moves?" Does one sitar solo on one song give an album "psych moves?"Does a backwards vocal or a strange intro (can you say Steve Miller?) constitute a "psych move?" Fuzz?Clarification please.

Comments

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Old head term. Think "psych inflections" or essentially what you stated:

Does one sitar solo on one song give an album "psych moves?"
    Does a backwards vocal or a strange intro (can you say Steve Miller?) constitute a "psych move?" Fuzz?

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    - fuzz
    - weird screams
    - backwards tape
    - long hair stoned dudes on cover

• - fuzz
    - weird screams
    - backwards tape
    - long hair stoned dudes on cover

Yeah. I would add to that:

-moog/arp noodlings (out of an electronica context anyway)
    -excessive flange/tape echo
    -multi part harmonies ala free design

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Finally made it to the Arbutus (Baltimore) Record Show today. A few strutters in attendance as well as some shower-deprived, loud-voiced, sharp-elbowed dealer types. Some bargains and some pricey raers.
    I was looking at one sealed 60's record that I wasn't familiar with and asked the guy what it sounded like and he said it was "pop with some psych moves." I've seen this expression written a million times but this was the first time I'd actually heard it spoken out loud.
    Please define "psych moves?" Does one sitar solo on one song give an album "psych moves?"
    Does a backwards vocal or a strange intro (can you say Steve Miller?) constitute a "psych move?" Fuzz?
    Clarification please.

What LP was it???

I would say Millenium is "pop with psych moves".

Maybe even Free Design