Dobie Gray: Yay or Nay?

GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
edited October 2006 in Strut Central
possible middle ground between dudes that look like Heino singing "Mustang Sally" and Steely Danthe 60's

discuss

Comments

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Yay.

I love "City Stars," the flipside of "Drift Away"

His White Whale jawns are fresh, too.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Yay, he did good stuff in both the 60s & the 70s, you definitely have to listen before purchase though on some of the later stuff.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    His albums are mad uneven, but 1973's Loving Arms is a major exception; one of my fave elpees of all time. Classic country-soul all the way through, like a younger, hipper Charley Pride.

Other classic Dobie moments:
    - the flipside of the "Loving Arms" 45 (forget the title, it also appears on Dobie's Hey Dixie LP)
    - "The 'In' Crowd"
    - "You Can Do It" (country-disco??? believe it! and good, too)
    - "Drift Away" (cain't forget this one)
    - "Monkey Jerk"
    - "Let Go"
    - "From Where I Stand" (the title track of a brilliant 3-CD set on Warners that spotlighted blacks in country music)

Possible classic Dobie:
    - "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down" by the Symbols (1971 single on Bell...I know Dobie did a lot of studio work between hits, and I'm thinking he's taking the lead on this...he once mentioned, in passing in an interview, that he recorded a version of this that wasn't a hit...after Joan Baez herself had a hit with this tune, I believe some producer recorded a soul version for black radio and that's how we got this Symbols single)