Post a Record Thats Associated With A Memory

GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
edited October 2006 in Strut Central
Back in '99 the homie and part-time soulstrutter John Doe (Doeizm) came into Big B's records and picked up a stack of LP's I was working behind the counter and he told "hey you might want to check out that Idris Muhammad record out in the bins. I think you'll like it". I picked it up and played it over the stores sound system. After hearing that Beastie boys loop (Loran???s dance) I knew I had to have it. John was the first person to ever take the time to hip me to good soul & Jazz LP's and for that I thank him. Because of him (and people like him) I've developed a life threatening record habit and every time I play out Power of Soul I'm reminded of his enabling advise.I knew Anthony Pearson only as another person at the local record swaps. Eventually I put two and two together and figured he was that dude selling crazy shit on eBay. Nate "My life is over cause I'm engaged" Bizzo hooked me up with the good folks at Wax Poetics and soon I pitched an article dealing with how power sellers like AP do what they do. I approached Anthony at a record show made my introduction and he agreed to sit for an interview.I showed up at his door and came into one of the most peaceful homes I'd ever stepped foot in. his wife Ramona was super cool and his cats were just as mellow. In the background was this gentle new age record. he told me it was Steve Halpern's "Christening for Listening". I plopped down my tape recorder we rolled some J's and proceeded to just chat. A few months later that conversation was printed up in WaxPo and I gained a friend.

Comments

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

Oh wait, you didn't say loss of memory, did you? I forget.

• Agent45Agent45 451 Posts

There's a statute of limitations question that I don't have an answer for, which prevents me from saying too much. However, I got an original copy of this album while I was junior high school which started me down a long and dangerous road of record collecting. Ironically, I had this album before I bought anything by Two Tone bands, or Operation Ivy for that matter. So for once I dug forward instead of backward.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    As a kid I was able to dig these records out of my parents' closet...

For the longest time I assumed they were my dad's records, but nope...they belonged to my mama.