A Friday trip to the PAPsco Goodwill

johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
edited May 2005 in Strut Central
PAPsco, Washington, a/k/a The Land Of Tumbleweed, b/k/a who cares?

BUFFALO SPRINGFIELD (2LP retrospective) (Atco reissue)[/b]
This one still had the cellophone, which looked too good to be true. It is a comp, but I've wanted it since I don't have their box set. As soon as I went in to look, I saw the brown sleeves and knew it was a reissue. One look at the labels confirmed it: yellow Atco but with the two and a half turds in a punchbowl logo.

I'll take it for the time being.

GARY BURTON QUINTET-Dreams So Real (ECM)[/b]
This one features Pat Metheny. I'm listening to this right now, very mellow and relaxing. Very pap.

COLUMBIA BASIN COLLEGE JAZZ CHOIR AND JAZZ BAND-When Two Are One (custom pressing)[/b]
This is from the local community college, I always come across various albums they've done over the years. I have yet to find any records before 1979, or anything that might be half decent. There is a cover of "Blues For Stephanie" that I'll listen to again, as it has some moments worth chopping around. Side one is for the Jazz Choir, and while the vocals are lilly white, I could use them for some harmnonies or something, tweak them a bit.

DARYL HALL/JOHN OATES-Abandoned Lunchonette (Atlantic)[/b]
Now I finally have something from them on Atlantic. A lot of times I'd like to think John Oates' real name is John Ortez, but that has yet to be proven. This one has "She's Gone".

DARYL HALL & JOHN OATES-Past Times Behind (Chelsea)[/b]
I remember this album coming out in the mid-70's, when they were coming out with a buttload of hits. It was one of those albums featuring recordings the duo did in 1971 and 1972, and also features "Daryl Hall & Gulliver" and some early Daryl Hall solo material.

EMMYLOU HARRIS-Elite Hotel (Reprise)
EMMYLOU HARRIS-White Shoes (Warner Bros.)[/b]
Two more Emmylou albums to add to my discography. Just good music all around, and I'm sure I'll find something worth slowing down for manipulation purposes.

SEA LEVEL-On The Edge (Capricorn)[/b]
No idea who these guys are, but cover looked cool, the band looked like they weren't some cheap ass band, and it was on Capricorn, the label founded by the Allman Brothers. Either I was going to get some decent Southern rock, or perhaps something soulful. With a bassist named Lamar Williams, I figured it would be the latter and I was correct. Sounds like the kind of music 9th Wonder would sample, and people over in The-Breaks would break out in big acne over.

SEAWIND-Light The Light[/b] (Horizon/A&M)
Again, it always returns to home. Local girl Pauline Wilson and her band, doing some soulful jazz, and of course their trademark some with religious overtones. This one was released in the same year (1979) that Michael Jackson released Off The Wall, which also featured some Seawind input. This album isn't as good as the albums they did on CTI, or the album they would later release on A&M proper, but not too bad. The instrumental "Enchanted Dance" is nice.

Went up to pay for it, and they were a dollar a piece, with the Buffalo Springfield being a double. She charged me an extra dollar, BUT the change ended up being $8.08, so I let it go.

Comments

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    808 state!!!!!

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    808 state!!!!!

We're not profilin', or freestylin'
    got you dancing on the island, and we smilin'

"Yes indeed!" -?? KRS-One

There was a lot of stuff there, but a lot of it was crap. Which for me, no big deal, but it was a matter of "will I take a serious listen to this, or am I buying it for PAP reasons?" In the end, I chose only what I knew I would listen to.