wavs in Microwave and casual listening

mr.brettmr.brett 678 Posts
edited October 2006 in Strut Central
I???ve become more and more frustrated with the poor quality of my mp3 collection. I???m thinking of switching to wav for both casual listening purposes and Microwave use. I was wondering, who here primarily uses wav???s for either purpose? If so, what sort of filename/organization schemes and programs do you all use to manage your wavs?The main thing holding me back from going all wav is the absence of tags. I sort all my music in Microwave by BPM, because that???s the way I sort my vinyl singles too. With mp3???s, mix meister makes for easy BPM labeling. Also, I switch between two laptops and use two different external hard drives, so not having tags in itunes is a major pain in the ass. Are there any solutions to this problem (besides not using itunes?)

Comments

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    if you really wanted to, you could go with wavs and manage them in itunes (easiest way for listening imo.) you can use Microwave for listening (which is really not all that bad for doing so) but you gotta hook up your shit and blah blah, so it is kind of a pain in the ass.

i would just stick with a properly encoded mp3, at either VBR or 320kbps. external drives are cheap nowadays but i still dont think it warrants using wav files for Microwave and definitely not for casual listening. the only reason i could see using wav files for Microwave would be to have a near guarantee that the file won't crap out on you but that is easily solved by building overviews and testing out files in advance.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Keep a wav file in storage on a DVD or hard drive. Create MP3's from that as needed for dj'ing. As the tech changes & storage space on computers gets larger/cheaper, you'll have the OG wav file to convert to whatever MP3 format you want.

• Does anyone use .aif? I was just messing around with itunes and it looks like .aif's have tags. Mix meister bpm doesn't calculate bpm's for .aif's, but atleast if you put one in the tag it will stay around when you move the file around.

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    Keep a wav file in storage on a DVD or hard drive.

could do a loseless compression to save archiving space.