Trae is for the children

HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
edited October 2006 in Strut Central
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ent/4241809.htmlOct. 6, 2006, 5:06PMTrae Thompson sending out a new message from H-TownRapper's CD pushes anti-gangsta politicsBy MICHAEL D. CLARKCopyright 2006 Houston Chronicle Most of the hip-hop world covets the bright lights and regal skyline of a big city like Houston. Local rapper Trae Thompson is no different.When he's on tour it is H-Town's Rap-A-Lot Records and the legacies of the Geto Boys and UGK as well as new labelmates Z-Ro and the Trilltown Mafia that his buzz is most associated with.When he finally gets back to the 713, it's not Houston where Trae hangs his gold chains and grilles. It's Katy.A night on the town does not necessarily mean bouncing at Club Rio or H-Town or cruising a string of clubs in his '67 Impala. A night playing pool ??? Slick Willie's off Interstate 10 is his favorite haunt ??? is more his speed."Everything they got in Houston I have out in Katy, too, ya know," says Thompson.Most rappers perform with urban nicknames. Thompson keeps it simple by just using is first name ??? Trae.But on the cover of his most recent CD, Restless, he's dripping in sparkling accessories.Thompson is known for brooding, contrite and tough-love messages he's sending in songs like In the Hood (featuring Yung Joc), No Help (featuring his cousin Z-Ro) and Dedicated 2 U. Ironically, just as the Geto Boys capitalized on the interest in the thug life 15 years ago, Thompson focuses on the opposite."I want people from every gang to come together and leave that stuff behind," he says.Later this month Thompson will shoot videos here for both In the Hood and No Help (be on the lookout for a few landmarks once they reach MTV and BET).He may now be a Katy resident, but Houston makes just as much sense as a backdrop. Thompson grew up and established himself as a rapper on the south side of Houston. Along with DJ Screw, he was an original member of the Screwed Up Click, rhyming alongside Z-Ro, Big Hawk, Big Pokey and the Botany Boyz.It's the violence he saw back then combined with the love of his two children, ages 3 and 5, that now have him leading his own crew and speaking with a much different voice.Restless strongly pushes anti-gangsta social politics. He says that will be nothing compared to his upcoming album, tentatively titled Trae The Truth Show."I'll be coming even stronger on that album," says Thompson.

Comments

• I hear that he's renaming ABN "Teddy Bears By Nature."

Seriously, though: this could be a very good look, especially considering his current status (at least in Houston).

PS Katy!

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Lesson #1:

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    TRAE DA TRUTH

everyone should already own that ozone mag that has that top ten list in it. it also contains pretty ricky's top ten ways to make love, t-pain's top ten celebrity women who could get it among other things.

• sergserg 682 Posts

Later this month Thompson will shoot videos here for both In the Hood and No Help

I just grabbed the 12" for both of these tracks out of the clearance bin. No Help is my shit, all they need to do now is drop a Real Talk 12" and I'm happy as fuck.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    will either of those videos actually get any play is the real question

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts

Later this month Thompson will shoot videos here for both In the Hood and No Help

I just grabbed the 12" for both of these tracks out of the clearance bin. No Help is my shit, all they need to do now is drop a Real Talk 12" and I'm happy as fuck.

Grab an extra "No Help" 12" for me!

Herm

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    SOFT