Looking at audio interfaces, need opinions

mr.brettmr.brett 678 Posts
edited October 2006 in Strut Central
I???m looking at firewire audio interfaces right now and need some opinions. I???ve been looking at the following units: M-Audio Solo ($200) http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/FirewireSolo/ and the mixer-interface combination - Alesis??? Multimix 8 Firewire for $299 is available. The effects, multiple channels, and a phantom power mic inputs make this an enticing buy. My only fear about this is the quality- it seems like you get a lot for relatively little. http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MultiMix8FW/The Edirol FA-66 at $349 is also attractive because it can output at 24-bit/192kHz as opposed to 24-bit/96kHz with the other models??? it is out of my price range though (unless anyone knows of a deal on them). My needs: I want a high quality output for listening to my mp3 collection (which I???m currently updating to a standard of 320kbps). I also want to record my vinyl with high quality. I want to emphasize that this interface largely be used in my bedroom as a way of increasing the quality and output of sound I send to my receiver (the soundcard of my macbook is especially weak). Recording quality is also important, but probably less so than the output. I need to stay under 300, but I want a solid piece of equipment. Here are a few questions I have about interfaces or these models:In general, does an audio interface such as the ones I???m looking make a justifiable difference given my needs and equipment (see below)?I read a review online saying that there is some bleeding between channels with the Alesis firewire mixer. I really don???t want to spend $300 on a terd. Has anyone experienced this? Does it really matter if all I have plugged into it is my computer and receiver? How big of a difference is there between a 24-bit/192kHz output vs a 24bit/96kHz output when I???m playing mp3???s encoded at 320kbps?Can I run the effects from the Alesis mixer back into my Rane ttm-56 so I can apply effects in the mix?My current equipment (in case it matters): Right now I???ve got a Macbook with a 1.83ghz processor and 1.25 gigs of ram and a Dell Inspiron 5100 2.66 ghz processor, 512 ram for computers. I busted the Dell???s firewire port, so I use a PCMIA firewire card now. For sound, I have a Yamaha htr-5450 (80w at thd 0.06%) that powers two Energy exl-25???s and the center channel that goes with it. The main speakers cost about 400 for the pair and the center was another 325??? so you get an idea of my setup even if you don???t know anything about the model or brand. I also have some Mackie srm-450???s, but for the most part, I will use the interface with my home entertainment system. Any opinion is greatly appreciated.

Comments