listenin 2 music at work in a corporate envirnment

alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
edited October 2006 in Strut Central
how do u get by?-where i'm at, really, i cannot get away with funk, or soul...if the soul doesn't sound like sammy and dave or marvin gaye on hit songs if u know what i mean.-i dont have the option of headphones. even though i'm in a cubicle i have to communicate with my neigbouring workers...so all the music i play is accessible aurally by the neighbours of my cubicle...which is about 6 people that definitely dont listen to funk, soul, jazz.-i love funk soul jazz. surprise surprise, thats why i'm on this message board.-in my highschool years, i was possessed by alternative music, everything from rage against the machine to nirvana, to hendrix, to jesus lizard to manic street preachers. i loved brit pop in highschool, but i hated oasis.-its funny, and please dont interpret what i'm saying as stereotypical...but there's "certain music you are able to get away with in a certain working environment, than others.".-at first i thought it was just about the lyrics. cool, u can play hip hop, as long as it has a positive message...right?maybe i'l play some talib with some of those beats that go but with a positve message and i'm cool right?-no, you play that sheit in the "corporate enviroment" and you sound like a "thug"ok.so i've limited myself tosinatraearly rolling stonesbeatlesand a bunch of 90s alternative acts minus pearl jam(cause they suck) and a couple of others.so.what the phuck else can i get away with over here? help me.its like the only funk/soul i can get away with is stevie wonder. i can play his 70s sheit without raising an eyebrow, cause "it sounds like usher. is that a new usher song?".thank u stevie for letting me get away with the "soul" at work.

Comments

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Keep it real son. GETO BOYS ON BLAST all day at your desk!

Seriously, I would listen to lots of nice Bossa Nova music and keep it on chill mode so you can deal with those corporate bitches.

• what do you mean by "get by with"

seems most corp enviroments are pretty open to jazz, just not on some bugged out word-jazz, or free jazz.

but I've never offended anyone with a choice raer groovemix

what do these people say to you?

" turn down that black racket!"

" what do you think this is, a juke joint?"

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    listen to my corporate environment friendly hard prog psych folk rock mixes:
    your coworkers will be sweating you.

vol 1

vol 2