Local Weird Food Strut

RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
edited October 2006 in Strut Central
Having fun looking at all the local soda's.....got me thinking about weird and unusual local foods......One of my biggest regrets is having gone to Sedalia, Missouri on a digging trip and not trying their very unique famous food......even though we did make some nice vinyl scores.The Wheel-InnHome of the Guber Burger - Hamburger covered with Peanut Butter....anyone here ever try this??? They've been serving them for 50+ years so SOMEONE must dig them.What kind of local bizarre foods have y'all tried??

Comments

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    i will enjoy these after austin

* = Cashew chicken was first served (i.e. invented) in 1963 at Leong's Tea House in Springfield, Missouri. Owner David Leong, who moved to the United States from China in 1940, struggled to gain acceptance for the foods of his homeland so he began searching for a dish that would appease local residents' taste buds. The dish is exceedingly popular in the Springfield area and is often cited as the unofficial "dish of the city".
    Borrowing from the local love of fried chicken, Leong eventually came up with a combination of fried chicken chunks covered with Chinese oyster sauce, a handful of cashews and chopped green onions -- an immediate hit with the local crowd. As word spread about the tasty dish, so did the recipe. Springfield-style cashew chicken can be found throughout the nation, but is most popular in the region around Springfield.
    Leong's Tea House closed its doors in 1997, but authentic cashew chicken is still being served at over 100 restaurants in and around the Springfield metropolitan area.

* = The St. Paul Sandwich is a culinary curiosity that has nothing to do with St. Paul, Minnesota. This quite wonderful specialty of St. Louis, Missouri, consists of egg foo yung on Wonder Bread, served up with lettuce, tomato and mayo. You???ll find a good one at Chinese Express.

• Minneapolis' famous local delicacy is the Jucy Lucy, a burger with a layer of molten cheese cooked right in the middle. Amazing.