Mercado Livre

sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
edited October 2006 in Strut Central
Can you register and bid on items at this site if you live in the United States?http://www.mercadolivre.com.br/home_visitor.html

Comments

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    I tried to register once to help a strutter get a record, but the system kept asking me for an address in Brazil, which I don't have. Don't know if the rules have changed though.

Moogman?

• JoeMojoJoeMojo 720 Posts
    I've seen some serious facemelters pass through MercadoLivre... most of the sellers specify in their profiles that they only ship within Brazil, though.

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts
    I tried to register once to help a strutter get a record, but the system kept asking me for an address in Brazil, which I don't have. Don't know if the rules have changed though.

Moogman?

I just registered there saying I live in New York. It seems that they don't limit the registration by country.
    All you have to do is select "Outro pais" (Another country) in the menu that appears when you click on "Alterar pais" (Change country) link, and write the name of the state where you live in the "Cidade" field, as shown in the pics.

There are versions of the site for some latin american countries, Argentina included, on the bottom of the main page.
    Since Mercado Livre is associated to ebay, it's weird they not having a version of the site in English.

Peace

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    I was able to register, and its enough like ebay to navigate around. Do they have a paypal options? Has anyone actually purchased using the site?

• JoeMojoJoeMojo 720 Posts
    I was able to register, and its enough like ebay to navigate around. Do they have a paypal options? Has anyone actually purchased using the site?

If you read through some sellers' auctions, it looks like most people want payment through bank transfer into their Bradesco or Unibanco account. Unfortunately it's a pain in the ass to do an international transfer. Western Union has worked pretty well for me, since you can pick up the payment at any Banco do Brasil.

It looks like they do have a Paypal-like service, Mercado Pago:
    http://www.mercadolivre.com.br/jm/mercadopago

But not that many of the LP sellers seem to use it.